Taureau weight limit

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

vonfonk
c

Taureau weight limit

Post by vonfonk »

Can anyone tell me what is the max weight limit for the Taureau?

Thanks
Open Gate
C Guru

Post by Open Gate »

Hi !

I know many might not agree but is there such a thing as weight limit in an OC ?

We see big guys all the time in minuscule kayaks throwing all sort of moves and running all sort of big lines...and they do great !

The Taureau has reasonnable volume compared to thoses play boats...and unless your super big 300# + , I don't see why it wouldn't do for you. Yes, you'll be deeper in the water but usually big guys have the power to compensate for this.(A good 240# buddy paddles a skeeter and loves it)

Any ways, if you like the boat GO FOR IT ! I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun !
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

I was thinking the performance capacity would be around 200 lbs. In no way is a 240 lbs paddler going to fit without serious mods to the outfitting and a skirt to keep the waves out.
Open Gate
C Guru

Post by Open Gate »

I had to modify the outfitting of every single one of my 9 boats to properly fit. So this is standard procedure.
And yes he will be picking up a bit more water then a lighter paddler, but still I insist, GO FOR IT ! I Know you'll have fun :wink:
vonfonk
c

Post by vonfonk »

Thanks for the info! While we're on the topic of weight limits...what do you guys think the max is for a Savage Skeeter?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

I'd agree that 200lbs would be the ceiling of reality for a Taureau.

Ya' always gotta remember... the more you weigh the deeper you sink the edges and change the waterline with any boat.
dan.
Pain Boater

Post by dan. »

I am on the heavy side of 210, and I felt pretty uncomfortable in the taureau. I found it twitchy with little stablity and difficult to make a ferry.

It was probably my paddling though ....
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

At 215# it was a wild ride for me

Post by Wendy »

I really enjoyed the boat. I think my vertical impairment allowed it to be more stable than some taller folks. (5ft 3 1/2 inches) That is why I kept bugging Eli and other Esquif folks that we needed a supersized Taureau, or get the Spanish FLy. The picture sure does look good of the SF Craig!
Last edited by Wendy on Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
vonfonk
c

Post by vonfonk »

Ok....so do you guys think that the Superfly of Skeeter be a better fit? I weigh 230lbs.

thanks
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

I would get a new Spanish Fly

Post by Wendy »

At this weight range it is much more fun.
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

Open Gate, Try adding about 30 Litres of water to get your weight up 30 kg, you'll notice that the small boats are a little different when weighted down ;-) That's similar to a big boy, and though the mechanics are different because the weight is higher up, it behaves the same way.

I paddled an Ocoee at (an 11' boat) 250# last spring. If i got 2" of water in it (and that was really easy cuz i was so low to begin with, and it was essentially a freight train. I could barely steer it, and would just need to wait until i bashed into shore (hopefully downstream of rapid) so i could hop out and get back some marginal steering capability.

So weight does matter... but I suspect it's less of an issue if you're a better boater. IE - twitchiness might not be much of a hurdle. But the deeper you sit in the water, the more of the side of the boat is underwater, and the more exposure you have to currents.

Blah blah blah, all that being said I think 220-230 might be the 'optimal upper limit' for a taureau... but the lighter the better. again may depend on abilities.

-- Cya
dhumphrys
c

Tarurea Weight

Post by dhumphrys »

Hello,

I have a Taureau that I really enjoy paddling. I am 6'5" and weigh 215lbs. Paddling the boat for the first time it was a little tippy but I have since adjusted and got use to it. I am quite comfortable in it now. I would not argue that 200lbs is the upper end ideal weight but at 215-220 I am happy.

hope this helps

cheers

Dave
SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

Post by SlovenOC'er »

Paddled a Taureau very briefly at 230lbs. Twitchy, twitchier than a Zoom. Spanish Fly at the same weight is much calmer. The wider hull and flat plane surface made a world of difference. However, I wouldn't challenge a guy sitting on a log to a flatwater race in my Fly and expect to win. Always trade-offs involved. Are the new Flys being made with standard roylex?

Slov
vonfonk
c

Post by vonfonk »

Thanks again for the info but does anyone know the weight limit for the Skeeter? Ho wmuch bigger is the skeeter then the Fly? Is 230lbs to much?
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

230 lbs is me with my fly half full of water...might get a bit heavy for you once you take on water