Chronic pictures and review!!!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SGG

Chronic pictures and review!!!

Post by SGG »

A short review of the Chronic:

It's so sweet! I put my old Dagger pedestal and tried it. Here is my review:

I first went down my local class IV run and found that it is a good river runner for so short a boat. A lot of volume in the front helps a lot, I think. Ok, it's not a fast boat, but I had no problem ferrying or going where I wanted to go.

I then tried it on Lachine's rapid (big waves). This boat can surf! The transition edge to edge is very fast. It wants to spin, spin, spin and bounce, bounce, bounce. I tried some air blunts, but I'm not very good at it, yet!

I didn't try it in a hole, but I think it will do fine.

On flatwater, I had no problem to bow stall and cartwheel. The volume is well balanced.

A great short boat. I didn't have that much fun paddling since my first planning hull 5 years ago .

So that's it for the moment.

Here are some pictures of the new outfitting in my Necky Chronic:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/sgaumont-guay/c1.htm

Stéphan
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

Looks and sounds good. I want one. I wonder if Necky will take a trade on the witch? Probably not, oh well. Also, how do people get their outfitting looking like that. From the looks of my outfitting I need to be sponsored by 3M.
Will

Post by Guest »

nice.....how did you secure the thigh straps in front of the seat, and what brand are they? I have a Robson Twintip to set up this winter so I'm pickin' peoples brains.
SGG

Thigh straps

Post by SGG »

I use "Easy exit" thigh straps, the ones that Riot use in their kayaks. Just secure them with a 6 mm rope attached to the center aluminum beam.

Stéphan
dillonpro
Pain Boater

Chronic review

Post by dillonpro »

GREAT JOB! The pics are super, looks like a pro job. I was wondering how you made the hip pads? Also, are you having any difficulty getting your legs out on a wet exit? It looks tight. I'm concerned about my long legs and size 13 feet. Thanks,
Larry
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Nice Job!

Post by Sir Adam »

GREAT job outfitting that puppy!

Have fun :D
Keep the C!
Adam
Timzjatl
C Guru

Post by Timzjatl »

that looks awesome... I REALLY REALLY want a Vibe.... I had a hard time today not stickin one on the old VISA....
SGG

Hip pads and wet exit ...

Post by SGG »

The hip pads are made of 1 cm thick plastic bent with a propane torch. You just glue some minicell and use the holes for the kayak seat.

I tried the wet exit and it's ok but I think I will install some kind of quick release for the thigh straps. Better be safe than sorry!

Stéphan
jdschall
C Boater

easy exit thigh straps??

Post by jdschall »

Did you get the thigh straps out of a boat or did you get them directly from Riot?

Also: Regarding hip pads: In my boats I use a piece of aluminum sheet (1/8 to 1/4" thick) bent to a 90 degree angle and glue foam to that. Same principle as the cutting board but industrial strength. The surface must be roughed with a course belt sander to get the foam to stick to the glue. Make sure the edges are rounded so you don't tear up your skirt or yourself.

Dave
Flailing offside since 2000!
SGG

"Easy exit" thigh straps

Post by SGG »

I ordered the thigh straps at my kayak shop and I think they called Riot directly for a special order. 60$ for the pair :o

I know that some owners of Riot creek boats remove the thigh straps from their boats. They find them to restrictive. The next time, I will ask them before I buy!

The aluminum hip pads are a good idea. I should try that. Maybe in my next boat!

Stéphan
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Aluminium backed hip pads

Post by NZMatt »

Hi Guys

I've used a frame of 2" wide, 1/8" thick aluminium strips to mount my pedastal and have also used uprights and a semi-circular piece to make a hip-hugger/back band. It works OK, but I've found the 1'8" thick aluminium isn't really strong enough - it tends to bend out of the shape I bent it to. I've been thinking of taking that out and making straight plastic-backed hip huggers since once bent with heat, the plastic will retain it's shape better (I think)

Matt
jdschall
C Boater

AL hip hugger

Post by jdschall »

My Al hip pad is just an L-bracket mounted flush against the cock pit rim (in the vertical direction and as such only sticks up about the cock pit by 1 to 2 inches. It is then mounted in either the seat holes or holes I drill (depends on boat). By mounting it flush, the cockpit rim acts as a structural support and gives it pretty good lateral strength normal to your hip. The only problem with them I have had was on the portage trail out of the upper green where they bent inward (in the unsupported direction) because I was supporting the boat on my shoulders using the hip pads - very comfortably I might add. Then being made Al - I just bent them back to where they belonged and they were good as new! Also I may be using thicker stock than 1/8" Its pretty heavy. I don't think its 1/4" but it maybe 3/16 or something. I swiped it from my Dad who had swiped from work. I think it was used for face plates on some sort of instrumentation they made.
Flailing offside since 2000!
Aric
Pain Boater

quick realease wet exit

Post by Aric »

Stephan,
I ran a piece of accesory cord from the quick release buckle on my strap out to the front of my cockpit. I tied a small loop in the cord that I run my sprayskirt tab through. If I need to wet exit, I pull the skirt and the straps or lap belt releases also. a one pull exit. It was easy to do and I feel alot safer for using a lap belt.

Aric

Post by Guest »

All that gorgeous carved foam!
Nice Job, Stephan!!
Aric, do you have any pics of your one-pull release setup? I have a seat belt as well.
I think I got the idea, but maybe not ....
Thanks
RT

one pull

Post by guest »

I don't curently have any pictures I can send, but I'll see what I can do

Aric