Covered Bridge (Housatonic) Slalom Vid

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Michael Miller

Bull's Bridge

Post by Michael Miller »

Hey, where is all the water? When i ran it 10 years ago it had nasty water and pot holes. It tried to eat me. Time certainly wears things down, huh? :lol:
Michael Miller
30 years paddling
2 heart surgeries
7 years off rivers
I am back in my low volume C-1 in NH, which has only steep creeks and really tiny kayaks. Aren't those kayakers irritating enough with all that back paddling?
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Michael:

The character of the Covered Bridge section of the Housatonic varies quite a bit with the flow level. I've raced there at 750 cfs and it's pretty tame then. I've also raced it at 3,200 cfs and the waves and holes along the bottom right were quite intimidating, particularly if you're a lefty turning into and out of upstreams on a cross. The level this year 1,100-1,200 cfs seems to be pretty typical for the race, with some strong current and holes making ferries and other moves along the bottom right envigorating, but not particularly hairy.

However, Bob's videos do make the water look a lot tamer than it feels in the boat. That's one of the first things I noticed - all the waves and holes seem inconsequential compared with the reality on the water.

John
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Enjoyed the video, especially since that course looked like it might not be too hard for me !! 8)
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

John,

Everything looks bigger when you're peering out from a C-boat cockpit. Ya gotta try racing an open boat. Then, the object is to avoid the holes, not bust through 'em. :roll:

Toward the end of the race, you see my stroke-rate double as I ferry above one of the holes you're talking about.

Inspiration...
Bob P
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I may be by the Housatonic late in summer after I get my "Big Boy." Maybe the course will be up and have water in it? Maybe not.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

The Covered Bridge gates are taken down after the race, but there are workout gates about 10 miles north, in Falls Village. The flow is natural. 700-1500 cfs is workable.

Housatonic Flow
Bob P
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

ezwater:

I'll second Bob's remarks. If you're in the area, its worth stopping at Falls Village to check out the H.A.C.K.S. (Housatonic Area Canoe & Kayak Squad) practice course. KCCNY has held a Memorial Day Weekend Slalom Clinic & Race there the past two years.

As is typical for most slalom practice sites, the water is only Class I (maybe easy II at higher levels), but with fairly strong current for that difficulty level. Almost all of the gates can be repositioned and even raised or lowered from the river right bank. Parachute cord running from each gate to the cable on the right bank then runs back across the river to a pulley on the left bank and then back to the far side of the gate. You just pull the "clothesline" to move the gate back and forth on the wire. On some gates, separate cords to the crossbars lower or raise both poles jointly. Sometimes a cord is used to adjust the tension on the wire with the same effect. In a slalom boat you can typically attain up the course, although you'll get a workout doing so.

John
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

:) Thanks, friends have a place in Kent, have been trying to get us to stop there and try the river.