C1 Outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

OC1er
CBoats Addict

C1 Outfitting

Post by OC1er »

Working on converting a Dagger Vertigo to C1. I've got a saddle with adjustable pegs out of an old Gyra Max in there, with thigh straps run from the cockpit rim to the center of the saddle plate. The problem I'm pondering now deals with comfort. The cockpit rim contacts my legs about mid thigh and I can't get my knees spread out into the chines. So I've been thinking about jacking up the cockpit. I read the article on this subject in the outfitting link, but I have some questions. What's going on with the tubing in the bottom picture? There are several items in the materials list not mentioned in the description: Whats the funnel for? How about the black plastic bags? Is there heat applied in this process? If so, what is the heat source? How much rise do ya'll think I'll be able to get? Any info appreciated, as of now I can't take much more than a half hour in this thing, but it seems like it has a high fun potential.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
kneeler
C Guru

Post by kneeler »

I usually just heat the rim slowly with a heat gun, throw a towel over my thighs, get in and lean forward over the deck to push the cockpit rim up. I do one side at a time. It takes about 15 minutes and works great.
knu2xs
Pain Boater

Post by knu2xs »

Forget the towel, leg hairs embedded into the plastic add character!
-Joel

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. -Jack London
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I used a heat gun with a car jack and piece of scrap wood. I didn't brace the whole rim, just the thigh area.

Highly recommended lifting the rim if it's digging into you and your knees feel close. They're uncomfortable enough without the Charley Horses.

I like the towel idea! I've lifted one side a bit more than the other, so I'll use the towel trick for some adjustment and maintenance.

Also, if you're rim is fastened by a thwart to a bulkhead, you might have to lift the thwart too, or it'll be holding down what you're trying to push up. I added a hockey stick between my bulkhead and my old thwart.

In addition to pushing up the thighs, you might want to lift the back of the cockpit too - easy to do, and more room for your feet to exit.

PY.