Safe glue for the Zephyr

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bradpr
c

Safe glue for the Zephyr

Post by bradpr »

I just purchased a Zephyr, and want to put some knee pads in. I have some 3M Hi-Strength90 and some woodweld contact cement. I thought the 3M spray would be best, but I'm having second thoughts that it may act as a solvent and eat my boat.

Will the 90 eat through my hull?

Is the contact cement a better/safer adhesive for my pads?

Thx!
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Used Weldwood for knee pads

Post by Wendy »

It worked fine. Followed usual protocol- cleaned, lightly sanded, cement to both surfaces X 2, light heat, press, 24 hour cure.
bradpr
c

Post by bradpr »

Thanks Wendy, just to be clear, the 3M hi-strength 90 worked fine, right?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I think Wendy said Weldwood worked fine (it was in the subject of her reply) - weldwood has worked great for me. Contact cement seems to be fine with most materials when used for sticking minicell for padding purposes, i.e. anytime there is not a tension load.
bradpr
c

Post by bradpr »

Right (sorry - just read the reply, wasn't looking at the subject)

When you recommend applying heat to the parts to be bonded, what kind of heat & how long? Will a hair dryer work, or do I need a heat gun? Why am I applying the heat, does it do something to activate the cement?

Thanks!
Brad
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I believe she means a hair dryer - I don't religiously do that with contact cement, I usually only do that when I am in a hurry. You just want both sides dry to the touch. However, I ahve had great success even without careful adherance to that rule.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Heat and contact cement

Post by Wendy »

I use Weldwood in red can- sprays are convenient, but have not worked well for me.
Heat- I have a heat gun, but use to use a blow dryer- light heat, or heat gun, low heat; Heat for 5-10 seconds (will depend on how much humidity as to how long), then stick the surfaces together. In the South before the drought, if you didi not heat the surfaces they did not bond as well from the high humidity delaying evaporation of the solvent.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I used a 3M spray (for foam insulation) to put in a pedestal (the "kid" seat in our OC-1.5) expecting it to be temporary. That was 4 years ago...