Feet Hurt!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Feet Hurt!

Post by fleckbass »

Man! After paddling this new boat last weekend. My feet are really killing me. Especially the tops, behind the toes. Didn't have this problem in the other boat. I do have pads under my feet. I'm concerned because the last couple of times I was out, my toes felt numb for a day after. I'm no doctor but I know this can't be good. I've tried ankle blocks before and didn't care for them. I was told that some people put there feet out to the side. Cant imagine that. I'm hoping that I can move the foot braces back a notch and solve the problem but I thought they were already back as far as I can get them and still be touching them. Maybe thicker foam. The saddle seems wider but I thought that should help. I'm hurting bad enough to consider using the kayak I bought in the winter and never had the desire to try yet. I also heard that one can develope blood clots.
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Right now...

Post by Big Al »

you may be developing blood clots at this very moment, fleckbass. These can quickly become engorged and cut off your entire circulation. What good will any of your boats do you then, eh?

May I suggest you get into that piece of krap, oops...I meant kayak, asap and sell me the Viper? 8) I'll offer you a cool 2c's cash. :wink:
Jim P
C Guru

Go sit in your boat

Post by Jim P »

Spend some time in the boat - in dry land. Just sit there for a while, feel where it digs in and make adjustments, add foam here remove foam there. Experiment. I spend a good bit of time sitting and reading in a new boat, feeling the outfitting and making small adjustments to get it comfy. One thing to watch for is the edges of the saddle cutting into the side of your thigh - this can reduce blood flow significantly.

Blood clots suck. been there done that, got the yak...
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

Check where your legs (crotch area ) contact the saddle. Mohawk saddles come with sharp corners on them and will put pressure on your femoral artery cutting off circulation. Go sit in your boat with just your tighty whiteys on, see were the contact area is and shave the edges of the saddle down with a sure form file. Take a little off at a time until it gets comfy. Then go paddle. Then shave a little more foam if needed.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Ha Ha

Post by fleckbass »

Ha, Ha Very funny. I am concerned though.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Sharp Edges

Post by fleckbass »

The saddle does have sharp edges. It seems wider also. I'm guessing I get a sure form tool at any hardware store. I will look for that. Jim, When you had clots, did they go away? How'd you get rid of them. Does it sound like this is what I have?
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Wide is good (for saddles)

Post by Wendy »

There has been a thread recently about 9-12 inches being a good widthfor the saddle. I was having trouble and widened my saddles, removed sharp edges, and that did the trick. Before widening I use to raise the saddle and sacrifice stability, but got comfy. The Keens and Canyon 5:10s are easier to keep ankle at 90 degrees, so less need for ankle blocks.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Re: Wide is good (for saddles)

Post by fleckbass »

Wendy wrote: The Keens and Canyon 5:10s are easier to keep ankle at 90 degrees, so less need for ankle blocks.
Don't know what you mean here.

Also, my onside ankle has been sore for sometime, just below the tendon on the back of the heel. I'm gonna get this checked out. It has been too long. Anyone experience this?
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

C's

Post by fleckbass »

What Al, you don't like those c's anymore? Not for me.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Oh I see

Post by fleckbass »

OK. Shoes. Checking them out now. Thanks
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

what are you doing with your toes ? Let them ly flat and put them - if they are not to thick - under the foot pegs. I think thats way more confortable.
imagine
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Expensive

Post by fleckbass »

Wendy, Do you know who deals these brands. Would be nice to see before buy.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Fez

Post by fleckbass »

Yeah, That's pretty much what I'm doing. I have pads under my feet. They are not very thick. I gonna have to check that the pegs are back far enough.
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

Sure form files are Stanley brand and most hardware stores will have them. They look like a cheese grater. Try to get the half round version not the flat version. The half round is better for contour cutting and you can still do flat surfaces nicely with it. About the tighteys....yeah that is funny but I'm dead serious about that too. You won't be able to see exactly were that saddle is bothering you wearing a pair of jeans or baggy shorts. :o
MikeOC1
C Guru

Post by MikeOC1 »

If your stuffin your feet under the pegs, I pulled the pegs out and put those north water toe blocks in --, they arent cheap, but my comfort improved and my feet stay put. It took trial and error but after much shaving and carving, home made foam ankle blocks did the trick for me.

....the adjustable ones on top
http://www.northwater.com/html/toe_blocks.html