New Viper 12

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

Stability is relative and any boat you choose is a tradeoff. Bigger boats are generally more stable and less responsive. Smaller boats are generally less stable and more responsive.

The boat you paddle should depend on what type of paddling you want to do. My favorite type of boating is steep creeking so my primary boat is the prelude. The prelude is very unstable but highly responsive. I hate the stability of that boat but it is still my favorite canoe because you need the kind of responsiveness it offers on tight technical creeks.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Awesome

Post by fleckbass »

That's awesome! That's what I'm inspiring for. Already open boated the Savage. Clean run too! Took my Thrillseeker down the Gorge. Don't wanna resort to the inflatable if I can help it. Hope the Viper is the key.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Why I got the Viper

Post by fleckbass »

The main reason I got the Viper is that I wanted some thing that grabbed eddies better than the Probe, surfed better and ran drier. All of the above is true. Just didn't think it would be so much harder and require more effort to paddle. I appreciate all the comments here. It is giving me inspiration and I'm not gonna give up. I think I will get use to it and never wanna turn back. I know it will make me a better paddler.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

your half way there !!!

pretty soon there'll be no tippy-ness, and that old boat will be too unresponsive to ever accept as your primary choice...don't let your boat be the limiting factor, let it be that guy in your saddle - the one who's going for all he wants
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

Hey Bruce, My Zoom is my go to security blanket boat when I'm stepping it up. Even though I have a fleet of C-1s that don't fill up, including a Fluid Solo creek boat, the Zoom is what I use on harder stuff because I have more seat time in that boat than the others. The more time you spend in a boat the more comfy ya get.