Stick 'em up !

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ezwater
C Maven

Stick 'em up !

Post by ezwater »

What's your favorite adhesive for gluing mnicell when the cut faces are not flat or even enough to use contact cement?

I've been trying a caulk-gun polyurethane that seems to expand a little before setting up. It claims to be completely waterproof, and is normally used in construction.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I've always just used contact cement. Usually I shape or sand the minicel to a reasonably close fit, but the cement's adhesion has always been enough to overcome the force of the minicell's attempt to return to it's pre-stuck shape.

The best examples are the pedestals from my first ME (I bought it 16 years ago, so older) and my Viper (14 years ago) that have each been used in several boats - each time they are pried up, they are less pristinely flat and yet they have never budged when installed...
bellotti
c

Post by bellotti »

Marine Goop seems to do well.
Louie

DR I got to

Post by Louie »

agree with that guy I've made some pretty drunk ragged mimicell cut and Weldwood has alway worked well, but then again I tend to wear out the boat before the outfittin.