mohawk xl 13 vs. probe 13

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

"High performance" is code speak for "tippy and won't go straight for nuttin'", so, yes :)
zeke
C Boater

Post by zeke »

that is an extremely helpful piece of info :wink:
zeke
C Boater

Post by zeke »

so what I'm hearing is that in order of "performance" (or in other words "tippy and won't go straight for nuttin'") from least to most:

1. xl 13
2. Probe, Esquif Vertige or Bell Prodigy X
3. Zephyr
4. Outrage

we never did hear input on where the Nitro or Detonator fit in

does this look about right?

anybody want to refine?
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Outrage

Post by fleckbass »

Yes, the Outrage is initially tippy but when leaned over gets more stability. You may get used to the initial "tippiness" This makes it carve easy. The Nitro is probably a bit more performance than the Probe. Maybe #3 on the list.
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Probably also acceleration, and ability to handle well in turbulence. There's a lot that goes into "maneuverability."

I'm partial to a nicely flattish bottom that will "sail" across when ferrying. Boats that are excessively tubular, like my MR Synergy, will not do this.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Ferrying

Post by fleckbass »

The Probe seems to do that well.
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

The probes accellerate faster then the vertiges. Not that the vertige is a bad boat, but it's rather slow and is not grat for fast accelleration.

I don't think detonator/nitro/zephir are an option. These boats are less stable and a lot less forgiving then the probe or the vertige.
zeke
C Boater

Post by zeke »

This has all been extremely helpful. It's great to have access to so many folks with such a depth of experience. It has been suggested repeatedly that I try boats out before I make a decision but I can't imagine how or where I would ever have the opportunity to do this. I'm thinking I just might have to take the plunge and pick one out hoping that it will work for me. However, I already did that with a kayak that I now am trying to sell. Based on all the comments it sounds like the Probe 13 would be a good place for me to start. Any other follow up comments or suggestions? Thanks for all the great advice/input.
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Where do you live, zeke? I'll always loan out a boat if someone wants to take one for a test paddle.
zeke
C Boater

Post by zeke »

I'm near Harrisonburg, VA. Guess I need to put some info in my profile so that info is available on my posts.
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I live on the other side of the "pond", but isn't there any shop or training centre who has several types near you? You might not have a chance to test exactly the boat you want, but probably something that is quite similar or maybe you find the boat you really like!

My local dealer here in belgium has 10 types of boats in available for tryout. And then I don't mention the tandem boats at this moment!
zeke
C Boater

Post by zeke »

there's a big boat dealer nearby (Appomattox) but they're not set up for demos and I don't know what they have in the way of canoes anyway (web site says they carry Mad River and Esquif). Other than that the closest place I can think of that has boats is NOC and that is about a 7 hour drive from here. Wonder if there will be OC-1's for sale at Gauley Fest? I'm planing to be there that weekend. Any of you all know anything I might be missing that's close to Shenandoah Valley, VA?
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Guest Appreciation Festival at the NOC is the last weekend of September. There will be lots of boats for sale. I could bring some boats to the Foster Falls section of the New. Or, if we ever get any rain, I'm itching to paddle the Maury again. Eli is still repping for Esquif, isn't he? He's very close to Harrisonburg.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Last I talked to Eli, he's not repping for Esquif anymore. Seen posts recently that his Dad is doing the Zephyr repairs, though.

Too bad the NOC is so far for you - I'm going to GAF (I know, Gauley Fest for geeks) and I think one of our party will be in a Probe. [I'm doing my best to get my Spanish Fly here by then...]
zeke
C Boater

Post by zeke »

I went to Gauley Fest for the first time last year and am planning on going again this year in support of my 16 year old son who is planning on running the lower Gauley (1st time) and also to do some upper New runs with my 13 year old. The festival proper didn't do much for me. Lots of rowdy folks in varying stages of inebriation was the primary impression. Not that I don't enjoy throwing back a cold one now and again 8) I did enjoy looking at the boats. How does NOC/GAF differ?