Glass boat addiction??

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Alden
CBoats Addict

Glass boat addiction??

Post by Alden »

has anyone else experienced this, this, glass boat addiction?? it's eating away at me. i cant stop thinking about huge, old-school enders, surfing ocean-sized waves, attaining class III rapids, monster pivots, sky-scraping stern squirts . . .

seriously, i went to hole brothers last week and got some solid surf time in my playboat, getting cartwheels and ect. but somehow i find myself selling my playboat this week and wanting to buy myself some more West System patching materials with the money. what is up with this?

paddling plastic feels like wearing a sweater in July -- heavy and sluggish. i didn't used to be like this, i swear! but now . . .

is there life after glass?
Alden
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Nope.

Post by Sir Adam »

As DaveM has always said "everything happens faster in glass" :D

Personally, if you like playboating, and have infected yourself with the glass bug, get a Groove or a Sith. Shorth(ish), and much sportier than ye Forlplays and the like (though longer, and not as aerially minded as the current generation of playboats).

Speaking of the Sith, where is Beads :o ? He owned the prototype for a bit. One of these day's I'll find one for sale, or have enough $$ to buy one new....

So, you can have your glass and get eaten by the souse hole too! :o
Keep the C!
Adam
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I just picked up Jim Snyders "Rip anything that Squirts". I haven't even mastered a stern squirt and I am looking to the day and boat that will allow me to make a couple of the moves in his book. Jim credits a number of C-boaters with introducing some of the moves he describes in his book. I wish some of those C-1'rs would publish an equivalent book.

til next
Jim
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Everybody needs a little glass

Post by Mike W. »

Adam said that he was trying to convert everyone to glass. Beleive it.

I love my Viper! I'm reading Squirt Boating & Beyond. It makes me want a real squirt boat 8)

Jim, find a bridge abutment in deep water that gives a subtle eddy-line. I've found that my Viper likes those best. Ease out into the current & do a bow draw on the down-stream side while tilting the boat a little to the upstream side & laying back on the downstream side of the stern. That Viper will point to the sky! Use little "chipping" draw strokes on the inside of the spin to maintain the spin.

If you want to cheat a little to help learn the technique :wink: , let 1 or 2" of water in the boat. When the stern starts down that water runs back & acts like a weight under a bobber. Then you just bob & spin down the river :D

Mike W.
jKellly-Rand

Post by jKellly-Rand »

I will give that a try. Right now my Viper is retired. It is in need of some outfitting upgrades. I have someone to do it I just need to get the boat there.
I have been plying the waves with my Atom, and there is some squirt in that boat also. Snyders book has pointed out the need to have a smooth transition, and my efforts have been less so.
Hope you had a chance to catch another run on the N.B. Potomac.

till next
Jim
allden

boats

Post by allden »

i know he's a kayaker, but jim snyder knows what's up. this is cool

http://www.customkayak.com/html/mystery_trance.html
Jim
C Guru

Alden's addiction

Post by Jim »

I think the real problem is that Alden is having trouble getting back into studying at college. It is raining here in New England and he is stuck in classes. No wonder he is fantasizing about paddling.

Good luck- you need it.

Jim
kaz

alden's addiction

Post by kaz »

Be careful Alden, you'll be scratching for the rest of your life.
JKaz