Esquif Prelude

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

milkman
C Maven

Esquif Prelude

Post by milkman »

I'm thinking of buying an Esquif Prelude, but curious about how it handles on eddy turns and the like. I'm used to flat bottom boats like Phantoms, Ocoees, and Solitos that have a hard chine and snap into eddies. How does the Esquif Prelude compare? What do people think of Esquif's verison of the Prelude?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Haven't paddled it yet since Esquif started making them... but it's made in the same mold that Pyranha had... the Spanish Fly is as well.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I haven't paddled either of those, so I don't really have a frame of reference.

I guess what my real question is, if I like boats like the Phantom and Solito, will I like the Prelude?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

My opinion based on threads here and about 10 minutes of boat time, is, regardless of whether it is being manufactured at 100% of Frankie's design intent, that it is still a hard chined boat. It might not be as flat across the bottom as he meant for it to be, but that can be corrected. I have heard that affects the primary stability more than any "edginess". So, you'd probably like it. Unless you are up over 200# like I am.
YTcanoe
C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

I bought a Prelude after retiring my worn out Mohawk Rodeo.

Love Rodeos and Viper 11's. Never figured out what the big deal was with Ocoee's, just don't inspire me. Never paddled a Phantom or Solito. Solito looks really interesting.

I'm about 185#, paddle 4/5, CRCA ww instructor. Currently paddle a Cufly, Wheelboy, Yconvert, and do some pretty bigwater in a bagged out Freedom Solo.

I paddled my Prelude once then put it up for sale. The thing has the cross section of a beachball. Mushy handling, lousy tracking, no carving. Also found it a bit awkward to roll, probably due to Prophet like rocker/end height and perhaps too much depth (could handroll my Rodeo). I've never had a greater immediate dislike for a boat. I had a 24" creeker c-1 that was more stable without doing up the thighstraps. (I'll take cover now as I see there are a lot of zealots out there that I've likely offended.)

However, nobody bought it and I found some great advice on this site. This winter I'm going to pull in the thwarts and give up a little rocker(don't see the need for so much in such a short boat). Then out come the heatlamps. You'll be able to shave with this thing when I'm done. I'm expecting great things.
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

Well, I can only talk for 30minutes of prelude paddling (esquif prelude).

And I must say, I immediatly liked the boat. The first time I tried to enter it, I tipped over. A start just like the one with the zephir. Except that this time the bulkhead was actually too small for me, that's why I tipped over. But I immediatly loved the zephir as well.

Anyhow, the prelude is tippy, if you're not used to it. And yes, I have a viper11, love that boat. The difference is huge, between my viper11 and the prelude talking about primary stability. You have to learn to work the secondary. It also snaps very easy from left to right to ... . but that's probably my lack of skills for handling that boat.
I haven't tried rolling it, so I can't tell much about that.

I also love the fact it is a real short boat. I was out paddling a belgian river a couple weeks ago and had troubles fitting in my 3.51m viper11. the prelude is 2.89m or something, it did and will make a difference. The prelude also seems to have a magic affection with eddies. Don't come too close, or you'll be sucked into the eddy. But that may also be my lack of skills.

I'm willing to give that boat another try, for a days paddling or so, and if I still love it, I'll probably think of buying one. If canoes weren't so freekin expensive out here, I'd probably had bought it already.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

dam I was the first one to reply to this post with a long shot but somehow, it never made it to the site after I clicked "submit". Anyhow, here's another attempt.

I own a prelude for two years and it is my favorite playboat. It is the pyranha version so I can't comment much on the edges that Esquif added to modify it.

If you liked the ocoee it originated from the same design so you will probably like it. Not a boat for everyone though, as you may have seen with the other replies. Flat bottom but not all the way and the edges are not so thight so doesn't carve and is not as stable as a more quare bottom boat like the solito or phantom, definitely very diferent to me.

Starting from the ocoee they've shorten the boat (good) used the PE instead of royalex (good especially for creeking although a little heavy) and narowed the 29" down to 26" (less good!)

Initial stability is just not there, but secondary is and when you get used to it it is a fairly dry boat. Handles big water nicely, you can see a buch of videos on youtube of guys riding this boat in devil rides. :evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87_qBovy9ag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJkY_IHPKW8

Is this a valuable argument? I don't know but I did convince the foolish me to buy it at that time anyways! It is not a beginner's friendly boat, not forgiving at all and I suggest you learn to roll pretty soon if you buy it. :roll:

By the way mine is rolling very well; I've added extra foam in the cockpit to fill up the sides, big water channel underseat, an electric pump and you're good to go. Also make sure you outfit is thight enough, adding straps to the foam saddle provided may be a good option.
Helly
C Guru

my impression

Post by Helly »

of the prelude is that, at least the one previous to esquif's, is that it is more of a displacement hull boat....bottom is round. When you get it in, unless you are very low in the boat, it wants to flip over.
Friends I know that paddle them, have flattened the hull and are now very happy with them.
Interesting what esquif has done with the boat......wish I could see the bottom of it now....
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

flatten the bottom

Post by Wendy »

My Motion Adventure Prototype Prelude had a flattened bottom and compared to the Pyranha had more primary stability, great edges, snapped into eddies. The boat is very dry in big water and wetter creekin, so adding the pump is nice.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

As far as I am concerned, the Prelude is the best d@#n open boat out there, and that even without flattening the bottom.
It's great in Big water and really shines on creeks.
Anyone who complains about it's stability, take a C1 squirt down something thats technical and steep, after that you'll know that the Prelude is VERY stable :wink: :lol: !

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Plumbpass
C Boater

Post by Plumbpass »

I've only had my Pyranha Prelude for a couple of months and I love it! The boat is awesome and I have a blast paddling it. I'm not sure I'll buy another boat for quite awhile now. Thanks for the tips with my outfitting Gonzo.
Martin, could you post a link to your video of you running Particle Accelerator in your Prelude? It's a great video, however, I can't seem to find it on you tube anymore. The link to it on C-Boats doesn't work anymore ethier.

Thanks, Ryan.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

If I may add up a little advise for you milkman

1- never buy a boat without trying it first. Especially one like that, it is so tricky and special, while being a super creeker half people loves it and many just can't stand.

2- This boat is definitely not for someone over 180#. I bought it from a guy that used to love it when he was about 180#, two year after got up to 200# and sold the boat. For a big guy, I think the closest you can get to the prelude would be an ocoee (or rodeo?).
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

The Prelude can definitely handle quite a bit more than 180 lbs.
Last fall my weight was at some point up to almost 200 lbs, and I ran the Bottom Moose in it without any problems. The upper weight cut-off is probably more like 210 to 215 lbs.
But sure, try before buy is a good advice, although I rarely seem to follow it myself. It's just much more fun to run a class 3+ rapid in a boat you've never paddled before and that's not quite properlyoutfitted yet :roll: :lol: ...!

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Prelude okay for me between weight of

Post by Wendy »

The Prelude was great at 180 and when I slipped up to 215 with gear :roll:
heathkocan
c

Prelude weight

Post by heathkocan »

I weigh in at 215 without gear on. I have no problems with my Prelude, secondary stability is awesome.
" Try that again buddy and I will staple a flag to your butt and send you to Iran"- HJ Simpson