Canoeing Community in Hot Springs, NC

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Canoeing Community in Hot Springs, NC

Post by Eli »

I am running NOC's rafting operations on the French Broad River in Hot Springs, NC. My goal is to build a community that embraces canoeing. We offer subsidized housing on river-right at the Section 9 takeout. During the season, we have a subsidized mealplan (this season I have 2 cooks and a sizeable garden). If you are into playboating, there is a ledge just upstream that my salsa and redfred will cartwheel in. If you are into creeking, the Green is within an hour. If the drought ends, the Big Laurel is a five minute shuttle. Last year at the ACA OC Downriver Nationals, 4 of my staff members medaled. If you enjoy a bohemian, communal lifestyle...apply at www.noc.com and let us know you want to raftguide on the "FB".
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
tennOC
Pain Boater

Post by tennOC »

Great concept, I'm comin' over to check out your operation soon. Sent you a PM, got a new canoe design I want you to check out.

Peace,
Larry
philinasheville
C Guru

Post by philinasheville »

Eli,

That makes me want to quit my day job and push rafts down the French Broad this summer. I do however have 3 mouths to feed so unfortunately will be unable to do so. I try to paddle the Big Laurel as often as possible, so I'll be on there with other open boaters most likely if it's running.

If you have anything going on in particular where you're trying to rally a group of c-boaters let me know. I'm always looking for an excuse to get out to Hot Springs!

Take Care,
Phil
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

quitting the ol' day job does sound mighty tempting....

as is, i'm gonna try and get a few days a week pushing rubber up there and spend the rest of my time here in the asheville area. i just moved back down south at the end of this past summer, haven't met too many asheville paddlers yet, let alone c-boaters. if any folks in the area are interested in doing some paddling, or just talking boatin while the weather's cold, please let me know. you can send me a message on here or catch me at:

golder dot mg at gmail dot com

take care,

golder
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

French Broad River Festival

Post by Eli »

Wow...thanks for all the communication. I'm stoked about the summer!

I'll mention more later, but the FBRF always gathers canoers at a great festival scene. It is the first weekend in May.

I see us playboating at surprise ledge a lot during the summer. I'm also trying to put in an indoor game room and outdoor volleyball/horseshoes/rootball/etc just in case of prolonged draught.

I'm really hoping for water with Brush Creek and Big Laurel running on a regular basis.

SYOR,
Eli
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
Roger
C Guru

Post by Roger »

Hey, Eli, got room for teacher who's got a lot of the summer off? I can tell you there's not going to be any water here in Arkansas!!

Not sure how Kim will like it, though! :-?
boathead
C Guru

Post by boathead »

Hey Eli......What about experience? I have never had any "formal" experience pushing rubber down a river. Of course I have rafted on the Wolf and Phestigo rivers here in northern Wisconsin. Never in a guide capacity. I am an open boater as well as c-boater. Both at the intermediate level at best....... I do think your idea and passion of creating a one-blade boaters community out of Hot Springs sounds exciting......I was downsized at my profesion back in Sept. '08 and the prospects of finding any thing viable in this area seem to becoming lesser and lesser each week. I have been thinking of relocating to Western N.C. or Eastern Tenn. for sometime now. So.................? Good luck in your endevor!
...........................................Barry...................................................
"You don't beat this river, Chubby"..........
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Eli, it's all good. I think I've seen Erwin become more boater friendly over the years. Network with Shane at Rushing Waters. I think that would be a good resource. Try to get the campground next door to loosen up a bit.
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

Spent many a summer pushing sport 's down stream. kind of miss it. Hope to see you sometime.
good luck.
Definition. sport- silly people on raft trip.
alt.def. stupid people on rented toob.
use in sentence: Hey, sport; quit trying to steer from up there and just paddle forward.
dance for rain