good tripping river in southern BC

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

slick
C Boater

good tripping river in southern BC

Post by slick »

May I get some suggestions for where to do a self-supported multi-day open boat trip in British Columbia? No hair/gnar but want some fun...gradient and channelized sections to bounce around in as opposed to flat & braided. Will be 3rd week of June...peak flow time. Long portages & lake crossings are fine if they buy access to something remote and gorgeous. Proximity to Vancouver/Whistler is desirable. Chilko+Chilcotin (minus Lava Canyon) and Lillooet are on the short list so far.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Those were the 2 I'd have suggested.

More options further north and probably further east. While BC's gorgeous - remote is another thing, all activities are along valley bottoms, so most rivers have roads, railways, logging, etc.

There's a good guidebook from the Prince George Canoe Club that may have more ideas. Blackwater is one that stood out to me.

Most BC paddlers I know paddle day-shuttle around southern BC, and do their wilderness tripping elsewhere, like way up north or way back east.

PY.
slick
C Boater

Post by slick »

Thanks! I'm in guide book overload so that's helpful. I'd consider others farther north or east if you have other suggestions; our options are mainly limited by cost of being flown/driven there.

Might do some day trips around the area, too.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Here's link where you might be able to get more info on the guidebook and the rivers in that area, which is probably your best bet for an interesting trip:
http://www.paddlepg.blogspot.com/

There's lots of good runs within an hour or 3 of Vancouver, pretty much whatever you're interested in (unless it's warm, pool-and-drop rivers!). Here's some info on a nice area from a canoe club that does mostly to class II-III:
http://www.beavercanoeclub.org/riversweek.htm

I've you're in Vancouver and want to paddle some class III, I may be able to find some open boats who could get out with you.

PY.
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

The Kootenay river is South East BC is a great 3-5 day trip, very nice scenery and some whitewater. You start in Alberta or right on the boarder to give you an idea of how far East in BC. I did that trip 15 years ago and want to do it again
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

I'd also suggest the Kootney.Usually great weather,good access,good camping, awesome and spectacular country and a beautiful and clean river(glacier fed from the parks)You can make it as long a trip as you want 1-5 days.There are some ther excellent rivers in the area.If you have time to explore some other valleys in the area you could spend a month paddling the region.Everything from class1 to 5 rivers and creeks.All have easy access,free camping or you can stay in bc recreation area campsites for a nominal fee,more wildlife in the area(elk,mountain goats,sheep and not to mention grizzly bears)however the Chilcotin has plenty also.Logging roads can get you into wild country if you want and not see other people for days.However any river in BC will be a great trip,i just prefer the E.Koots to the rain forest of the coast.Try draggin' a boat through devils club and jungle of the coastal region.If you need more info i belong to a club that paddles the area often and many other rivers in Alberta and BC.Post on the public area of the website and you'll recive plenty of help and ideas.Bow Waters Canoe Club.com(bwcc.com) :wink:
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
slick
C Boater

Post by slick »

Thanks. These suggestions have all the right attributes.

Babine/Skeena are on the short list, too.