Spinal cord injury

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

joedog

Spinal cord injury

Post by joedog »

My wife thinks that c-1 boaters might be more prone to spinal cord injuries because they sit higher than ww kayakers? Thoughts on this, please.

Charles Lee
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Simply put,

NOPE!

More $0.02,

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
mechnginear
c

Post by mechnginear »

Your butt is on a foam block and you have additional support and shock absorption from your knees, so I'd say no.
It's a Howler!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

From fellow paddlers the BIG deal seems to be the "twisting" motion of kayaking can do some not-so-good things to the back over the years... or suddenly, depending the altheticness of the paddler. The "forward and back" motion of CBoating keeps the spine aligned "normally".

The biggest issue with CBoating (assuming you don't try to high brace when you shouldn't) is circulation in the legs. Stretching, exercise, and proper outfitting helps a tremendous amount.
Keep the C!
Adam
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

It was not exactly a spinal cord injury, but it could have been - a local kayaker was taking a course to become an instructor when paddling on flat water he got speared in the kidney by another kayak. I was amazed at how bad of an injury it was (shock, pain, extended recovery, etc). A C-boater would be less likely to incur that particular mode of injury *because* of our elevation.
AYockey
C Guru

Post by AYockey »

Do you mean like an impact injury like landing flat off a drop or bending a funny way? I could see having more chance of scraping my back on rocks on the very very rare occasion I am upside down.
"The mark of a successful man is one that has sat at his favorite playspot all day without feeling guilty about it."
-Modified Chinese Proverb
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Maybe she means that more of you sticks out when you flip and are setting up for a roll.

Actually, however, a c-boater setting up to roll gets his/her body out to the side where it is much less exposed than a kayaker's body.
jim gross
CBoats Addict

HAHAHA

Post by jim gross »

Just my odd sense of humor, but do we look like we are here to entertain your wifes wims? Jk, haha. Adam had it right, the natural twisting of canoing realligns the spine, it is the carrying that is a pain when your back is out. I have worked out ever since my last back injury 15 years ago and have not another peep out of it. Exposure during rolls has never been an issue.

What was an issue once was that I caught a wave just right as I was going under a log in swift class 2. (I was leaned forward) The hit was like an exdplosion through my whole body, my vision went black with stars exploding too. There was a second strainer that I was not going to be able to paddle under just 20 feet down stream. I was conscious and swam through current till I felt it ebb. My vision slowly returned. My boat was in the eddy with me but the stick I had made was deep under the next log.

The moral of the storey is, paddle kayak, it's lower<<<NO>>> just be more carefull around strainers.

Jim
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

the only time i've hurt my back in a c1 is from getting too much rock on a rock boof. kind of a lower back wiplash effect. i think c1's are supposed to be easier on the back for flat landings on green water of larger drops. now safer for the ankles.....
Louie

Post by Louie »

Well if butt boater have more spine injuries, that would kinda knock the "spineless butt boater" theory in the head
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Or if it wasn't true BEFORE....

:lol:

I'm thinking of a new "Armada", for paddlers of ALL stripes, to try each others boats. I suspect we'd all be more tolerant of one-another 8)
Keep the C!
Adam