Dagger Canoes

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

chriscanoe
Pain Boater

Dagger Canoes

Post by chriscanoe »

Does anyone know what happened to the molds for Dagger's canoe's?
I know bell has the Ocoee, but what ever happened to the Encore, Caper and impulse?
PBR ME ASAP!!
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

I think mad river has the caption mold and has put them into production...

Do not know if bell or mad river acquired any of the other molds though. I would love to see someone put the the quake and/or prophet back into production...
SYOTR
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

mainly out of curiosity... why?
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

What happened to the Rival? Does Millbrook have exclusive rights to it (even Royalex layup)?

Phreon
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I talked to a guy at Mad River one day and found out that most of the molds were destroyed. Mad River of course has the Legend and Caption molds and are making those. They also have the Ovation mold. The Phantom and Dimension molds are no longer. I don't know about the Prophet or some of the other designs, but based on what he said, there's a good chance they're gone as well.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

sdbrassfield wrote:I think mad river has the caption mold and has put them into production...

Do not know if bell or mad river acquired any of the other molds though. I would love to see someone put the the quake and/or prophet back into production...
Don't think the Quake will happen. I once asked Mark Scriver about that possibility, and he told me that the Quake mold was, for cost reasons, glass, and he thought that the mold was pretty much done when Dagger stopped making it.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

Maybe some of us with old Daggers can get someone to make a glass mold and make glass versions for ourselves. I have a Prophet. Just a thought.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

greybear wrote:Maybe some of us with old Daggers can get someone to make a glass mold and make glass versions for ourselves. I have a Prophet. Just a thought.
Why not just buy a Milbrook boat from Kaz then... the Prophet is a knock-off of one of his boats anyways... and Louie claims it paddles better backwards than it does forwards. :lol:

There's an ad banner just above on this very page... Millbrook although a poor and struggling company with an underpaid CEO is a site sponsor here and since I'm really feeling overly generous today... here's a link :wink:
http://www.millbrookboats.com/
chriscanoe
Pain Boater

Post by chriscanoe »

Craig, I am mainly just curious, they made a great line of boats, and I was wondering if they were available somewhere.
PBR ME ASAP!!
chriscanoe
Pain Boater

Post by chriscanoe »

do some of you guys paddle glass open-boats regularly as your main go to canoe? I paddle the Chattoga for the most part, and feel like I would shred a glass boat.
PBR ME ASAP!!
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

While not as forgiving as ABS or roto-molded plastic, properly constructed composite boats are tougher than most people think. I typically paddle a composite C-1 rather than an OC-1, and the Chattooga isn't my regular river, but when I was younger I routinely paddled the Cheat Canyon, New River, Upper and Lower Gauley, Upper Yough, etc. in composite boats.

I have had to repair some hull and deck cracks here and there, as well as my share of blown seams; however, those composite boats from the 80s are still being paddled by either family members or me and, even with repairs, are still a whole lot lighter than an ABS or roto-molded plastic boat.

NOTE: I know that it is very "old school" of me, but "back in the day" we learned to avoid the rocks. :wink:

John
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

chriscanoe wrote:Craig, I am mainly just curious, they made a great line of boats, and I was wondering if they were available somewhere.
You see them pop up on here used now and then... on occasion there's some nice hardly used ones that turn up as well.

Here's a simple search you can use for Craigslist when "shopping" for such an item... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=si ... f&oq=&aqi=

If you like the Prophet... you might like the Esquif Spark (Kaz design) better in a Royalex/Royalite canoe... fwiw
chriscanoe
Pain Boater

Post by chriscanoe »

The Gauly and the New typically have a lot more water than the Chattooga, so missing rocks is a little more doable. I would love to have a glass boat, but I don't see it happening. i will just keep rubbing the plastic off my boats. BTW i have been known to run the Chattooga at really, low levels, kinda more like hiking.
PBR ME ASAP!!
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

Sec4 in the summer would eat a glass boat.....stick with plastic bathtub boats. BUT the levels are sticking around 2' lately!