Introducing the Esquif L'edge

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Nahh..I just like me a lot :P I'm used to having a big deck, but if I got that one stuck in a hole, not sure if I could get it out without tying a rope to my stern and having a few people pull :P
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

figured I should catch up... SO

virob, craig & sbroam... it'll be rotomolded in PE in the old Riot oven. IMO it's the best material to handle the punishment we can dish out that's availible currently... I have several well abused boats I'm still using to prove it. No idea on the final weight yet but it will weigh more than royalex/royalite which is a slight penalty for durability.

Wayner... thanks for your praise... that means a lot. Do still have your old cut-down Ocoee out of curiousity? That was a sick little boat as well.

Oci-One Kanubi... the open model will be lighter... and of course potentially wetter... but it was an option we both felt we had to make availible to people that still enjoy the look of traditional gunnels. For the moment the boat will be setup with a bulkhead style saddle due to the materials. I have an idea on how to make an adjustable strap system for folks that prefer them but we're a long ways and a lot of dollars from crossing that bridge yet. You can't glue patch straps to PE... you can drill holes in the side of the hull though... if you want although I'm fairly certain this would void your warranty.

Mikey B, sganarelle, tennOC, Wendy, TGG, Taniwha, jakke, kanur, philinasheville & Paddle Power
... thanks! :D

Sir Adam... a huge thanks to you and everyone that keeps Cboats.net alive and kickin'... without you guys and gals... it might have ended up on a kayak site. It was quite a thrill hopping in it for the first time and it performing as planned.

jim gross... the edges are raised so unless your landing on a sidewalk from ten stories high... I think you should be o.k. Your squirt boat looks awfully cool as well.

rcgalwa... yup... 100% symetrical. Looks just as good going backwards as it does forwards... it also helps confuse the poor guy that has to put on the serial number. :lol:

popetim... hopefully they'll be availible around late summer. Compared to the Fly... a lot... but not much. It's faster and edgier... has volume and it isn't designed specifically for "playboating".

D-Caption... the hull is based off the SpanishFly and CUFly but it's flatter in the center. I need to get it on a big wave yet... kinda wish I had one in my backyard to try it on. :D

Dooleyoc-1... well... as we discussed... it isn't designed specifically as a "creekin machine" but neither was the SpanishFly or Prelude... sometimes things just work out that way. :wink:

kaz... thanks John... and thanks again for being one of my "sounding boards" :wink:

TonyB & yarnellboat... we just started testing it this weekend. I had one person in it over 200lbs that's around 6ft... seemed pretty good. The other testers Dewey Ewers, Roy Crimmins, Teal Fyksen and myself all weigh in the 150-175lb bracket and Hailey Thompson the young female C-1 racer and playboater said she weighs 110lbs or so. All are skilled paddlers in their own rights. I'm not sure where the weight ceiling is going to be. It is important to keep in mind the more one weighs the further they can dig in the edges. I'm feeling at this point it'll handle up to 225lbs. This boat is also deep... so don't think I wasn't considering any of my larger and more cuddly friends out there. :wink: I'd love to do a little bigger version down the road... it'd be called the L'edge Ten-Four (good buddy) :lol:

jscottl67... thanks... it's silly dry... and always buy good airbags!!! :wink: (fwiw... one of us always carries a spare airbag when we're running larger stuff... cuz' ya never know?)

billcanoes... just like me... you'll have to be patient. :lol:

Louie... as your tag clearly states.... "Need we say more?" Thanks for not blabbin' yer head off... but it was equally difficult for me as well. :lol:

btw... the prototype is Kevlar and it wasn't cheap by any means... so no beating the snot out of it for me... yet :wink:
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim gross
CBoats Addict

Smerda

Post by jim gross »

Smerda,

Thanks for the nod on the woodie. I only mentioned the edges as I did a C-1 with a disc like that in Epoxy/Dynell/Kevlar and Glass, that edge went quick running the Upper Yough and such. I guess a little extra PE in the corners wont hurt any. Good onya mate.

Jim
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

That thing looks like a parody of my (slalom) Cobra.

You'll hear from my lawyers! :wink:

My boat's faster than your boat. Nyaa, nyaa...
Bob P
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

I really like the deck/gunnel option. Does any other boat offer that option???

I hope thats not something that gets lost in production modifications.

Boat looks pretty sweet.
Proud Yankee
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

great looking boat, can't wait to try it. please compare speed and initial & secondary stability to that of esquif's zoom. i'll be in the market for something like this soon. thanks.
Joe
semdoug
Pain Boater

Post by semdoug »

If that boat paddles half as good as it looks it'll be a winner.

Mommas gonna be pissed when it's time to buy. Can't have enough boats.

Is the open/decked option going to be from two different molds, essentially two different boats, or will the deck be a bolt-on option?
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

What I do wonder though: What's the desing goal of that weird-looking bottom?

Flatbottom ok, hard chines, ok, double chines like the nitro, ok. But the bottom like you designed with "L'Edge"? I suppose there is a really good reason to design it like that, so I'd like to know that reason ;-).

Oh, and indeed, really nice to have the option to work with standard gunwals or the really big deck-plates. With the deck-plates, do you also have to add large air-bags, or is a flotation compartiment build in (like with the splash?)
Lennart
Pain Boater

Post by Lennart »

1 Nice lookin boat. want one :)))

I am wondering about 1 thing:
it looks like the middle part (About 3 feet?) has a complete flat bottom and sides. I think that is will be very difficult to get that stiff and keeping it that way. perhaps I see thing wrong.

about decked or no decks
as far as I understand rotomolding it will come out of the mold complete closed(or at least that is what i think happens with k***ks) after that they will cut a hole in it (cockpit for kayak, bigger for a OC). ( in this case I think hole for the l'edge big hole for the traditional boater.
I think that it will be or decked or open. And a lot harder for the esquif guys to do construction with removable plates.

@ jakke
rail design
it looke like what kayakers call tucked rails, so see them a lot on newer riverrunners like diesel, thunder, mamba, burn. I think it works very well when i sit in a kayak so I cannot see why it should not work in a oc.
it gives boats good surfing carve possilibeties bit they do not make a boat very agrassive when paddling a river

but perhaps(probably) I am talking bull, so please craig shine your light:)
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
sorry fore all the mistakes.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

I thought some of you might get a kick out of going back into the the C-boats.net archive for a little trip down memory lane. So without any further adieu... :D

Design feeler ?'s http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Paddler Demographic ?'s http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Blue's Clue #1... http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic. ... itted#7783 :lol:
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

any ideas as to the price for the decked version?

I need to start saving and working overtime now cause I GOTTA HAVE ONE.
Parrot Head Paddler
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Look at the picture link action shots are up

Post by Wendy »

Check Craigs link again to see the action shots.
I want a decked one- will need a little trim on those inner edges for the hips. Yea, yea lose weight easier said than done. I need to go to fat canoe camp for adults!
:lol:
D-Caption
C Guru

The new L" edge

Post by D-Caption »

Hey Craig when can we see some hot footage of the new boat in action. Man this is killin me, but in a good way.I dont know how you kept the grin off your face during all those action shots. Really cool design. You will never know how much this means to all c-boaters heck this will probably help convert some Yackers to paddle a real boat for a change. thanks D-Caption
Helly
C Guru

I ditto that!!

Post by Helly »

I'd like to see some peel outs, eddyturns, surfin' etc! Please, pretty please???
Helen
Louie

Post by Louie »

Well if we are goin to see it in action he is goin to have to get it out of Wisconson