Open Canoe DownRiver Nationals?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Open Canoe DownRiver Nationals?

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

Hey,

Is anyone on here planning to attend the OC DownRiver Nationals on the Dead River in Maine next week?

Just wondering if there was info out there about it. I'm planning to attend as long as they allow registration there the day before (I haven't had a chance to mail mine in.)

Any additional info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dooley
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Hey Dooley, I'm not going this year. Have fun & bring some medals back down South :D

You can ping Clayton (race director) through C-Boats: http://cboats.net/cforum/profile.php?mo ... ile&u=2156
Also his e-mail address is listed on the info page for the race: http://www.canoe-newengland.org/WWOCD-N ... cdmain.htm

Here's the registration form: http://www.canoe-newengland.org/WWOCD-N ... 20Nats.htm

Here's the site for WWOCD: http://www.wwocd.org/

The motion to eliminate race boats at Nationals was tabled last year. That should come back up a the meeting at this year's Nats. Let us know what happens with that.
rcgalwa
Pain Boater

Post by rcgalwa »

Unfortunatly I don't have any race info, but I do recomend you hit the Kennebec and Penobscot while you are in the area. The Dead is great, but you will probably find it a little too mild for your liking at the minimum release level of 1300 for the races. The Kennebec and penobscot on the other hand will satisfy your CIV-V craving, as long as you don't mind a little big water. Have fun, and good luck, Ryan-
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Race way up north

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Dooley
was suppose to be going but this whole Mohawk move has changed my summer plans.
Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Thank you Mike for posting all of our links.
They pretty much give you all of the available info on the event including the Stearns Cup Pro race- cash prizes for the top ten combined times - OC1 and OC2, one rec one racing - your choice of boats and partners.

We require registration by 4pm the day before each event.
ie If you plan to race on Thursday you should be registered by 4pm on Wed.

There is plenty of water in all of the local lakes and impoundments and many natural flow streams and rivers are runnable.

See you all in W Forks
Clayton Cole
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Mike W. wrote:The motion to eliminate race boats at Nationals was tabled last year. That should come back up a the meeting at this year's Nats. Let us know what happens with that.
The motion to WHAT ???

Is this some sort of a joke?

:roll:

Sorry... and I'm seriously not trying to threadjack this whole deal... but that has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while... not allowing "race boats" at the Nationals Race? What's next... production line only cars at the Indy 500???

Wow... guess I'll stick to ww-oc-slalom and our 64 classes that try to accomodate everyone... and their pets. :lol:

Maybe I should mind my own business... but good gawd.
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

I will be paddling a race boat this year. There should be plenty of people in race boats out there too. The problem last year was that the water was at an all time record low on the french broad so people with race boats either didn't show up or they paddled a royalex boat instead.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Dooleyoc-1 wrote:I will be paddling a race boat this year. There should be plenty of people in race boats out there too. The problem last year was that the water was at an all time record low on the french broad so people with race boats either didn't show up or they paddled a royalex boat instead.
So based soley on that one race someone suggested eliminating the "race" boat class? I guess I just don't get it?

When OCSlal-Nats were held at the Dead back in ???? the DR-Nat's were being held at the same time. More than a few people commented on the fact that they'd never seen so many $300 boats carrying $1200 worth the paddles in them... but they also usually said it was pretty cool to see so many people out there on the river having a good time regardless of what kind of canoe they were in and no matter if they were using a $19 Sawyer paddle or a $400 Zaveral. That being said though... why would anyone suggest no longer allowing the type of boats that might have the potential to greater innovation... faster times... etc. That's what confuses me?

I really don't care what kind of boats people paddle... there should be room for everyone as long as the boats dimensions fit within the rules and specifications for that particular discipline. If memory serves I believe DR has Formula 14 & 16 boats but I don't recall if that applies to anything other than the materials it's made from... in other words... weight. This sport... especially regarding our aspects of it is so small to begin with that we should be encouraging more people to participate in c-vents... not less of them.

So... exactly what class would a Twintex Mistral fit into? :lol:

BTW... I don't know if Kaz or Dana Henry won that year... but they were kneeling... and as usual ripping it up from what I recall.

Have fun Dooley... what kind of boat are you planning on using btw?

(((Then again... I've said more than a few times that for OCSlal-Nats we should have two lengths of boats... those under 13'-2" and those over 13'-2" so I'm sure there's a few people out there that don't like my opinions either. :lol: )))
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Dooley,

If you have the time after the Nationals I would suggest the following rivers.

Sunday: South Branch Penobscot (Canada Falls section, class III, IV), followed by the West Branch Penobscot (Seboomook section, class III). They're both water releases and they're close to each other.

Monday: Kennebec. There's going to be an 8,000 cfs release. The normal release is 4,800 cfs.

Tuesday: West Branch Penobscot (Repogenus Gorge/Crib Works section, class III, IV, V) It's dam controlled but it runs every day at various levels. It'll probably be fairly high due to all the rain they've been getting this month.

Jim

PS. You may want to run Cold Stream if it's running due to all the rain. It starts out as a class III creek but the second half is class V. It even has a waterfall.
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

Thanks for the recommendations Jim! Those sound fun. If I don't have to get back for work and I can find someone to run them with me I will definitely check them out. I will probably hit one or two of them and then drive home on Tuesday.

Dooley
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Craig, it's no joke. Just check this thread: http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php? ... 14&start=0

Last year someone showed up w/ a Twintex boat & it was put in the F14 (race) class.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Mike W. wrote:Craig, it's no joke. Just check this thread: http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php? ... 14&start=0

Last year someone showed up w/ a Twintex boat & it was put in the F14 (race) class.
I have a simple solution... toss out the materials stuff... and have one class. :wink:

I feel the same about OC-Slalom though... just have a few length classes and fend for yourself. (Boats under 10ft... 10'-13'2"... 13'-2" and above and that's it for solo.) If people don't like getting beat by composite boats... well... how's the old saying go... "if you can't beat 'em... join 'em"

I don't own a race boat... but I don't mind getting beat by one because it typically means the paddler racing it is a better slalom racer than me. Suck it up I guess...
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Here are two ideas, probably already covered somewhere -

1. no boat specs - one big class - if you can paddle a skinny, eggshell of a boat, more power to you.

2. everybody paddles the same boat - go IROC style and make it truly a contest of paddlers

:lol:
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

sbroam wrote:2. everybody paddles the same boat - go IROC style and make it truly a contest of paddlers

:lol:
who decides which boat that is... remember... IROC cars were typically paid for by Chevrolet... and once Porsche.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Not to drift to far off of the original question, but it is hard to believe that there is a movement afoot to do away with composite boats at a national event. It's truly hard for me to fathom. There are a few downriver committee members that propose this every year. They are obviously happy paddling their, excuse my French, ABS pig boats, at a downriver race. I guess they want to keep it an exclusive club with only slow, heavy boats allowed. They have many reasons why composite boats should not be allowed to race at nationals. I better stop right here.
JKaz