Installing a pump in a Spanishfly and saddle height

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mr Marc
Pain Boater

Installing a pump in a Spanishfly and saddle height

Post by Mr Marc »

I would like to install an attwood V1250 pump in my Spanishfly. I whant to know where is the best place to put the pump and the batterie. Since it is hard to glue on plastic, I tought I would put the pump in the middle under the saddle. My boat has the Esquif factory outfitting. There is probably somebody here who had fitted a pump in that kind of boat.

Another question. The height of my saddle is 9 inches, is it too high?

Thanks a lot.

Marc
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

My saddle height is 9.5 inches. Yes it is tall, but it works for me. I had my ACL replaced a number of years ago and it doesn't like a short saddle. I recently spent 7 days on the Salmon river without any problems. No problems with stablility issues and no problem with knee swelling - the SFly is so stable you can get away with a taller saddle. Still, if you have young knees and are comfortable with a shorter saddle, you might consider shortening it.

As for the pump set-up, I have my pump behind the pedestal. It works fairly well, but leaves about a half inch or so in the boat. You can see the set-up at the following link http://picasaweb.google.com/53kimbo/SpanishFlySetUp#.

As I recall, Scott Broam has his pump under his saddle. Hopefully he will respond.

Marc
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

http://picasaweb.google.com/scott.broam ... 0653781522

check the pictures before and after that one for more detail. I get all but the last 1/2-3/4 inch or so out.
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

I like Scott's outfitting. I'd be tempted to run the wires through the foam instead of outside. Looks a little cleaner and might be a tad safer if you have an unintentional exit from the boat.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Like many of my projects, it is in extended prototype mode. I usually paddle without it as my usual weekly runs are on our local river which is usually low... When I use it more regularly, I'll get the wires and hose tidied up. I'm rethinking my choice of using a cheap switch and not waterproofing it more - after 5 or 6 trips it died. The batteries are fine, but the switch eventually tired of the moisture (or maybe failed for another reason).

You have unintentional exits from your boat ?! :lol:
Atucky
CBoats Addict

Post by Atucky »

My saddle height is 6 inches in my Spanish Fly.

I don't use an electric pump in that boat.
Adam Trunnell
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Yep, I occasionally choose to go for a brief swim.
I've had success with metal switches with a protective plastic boot (about $7.50 at Lowe's). I further seal it up with liquid electrical tape. I had success with a super cheap plastic switch from Wal-Mart. Then my water bottle whacked it and I still had a nicely insulated switched connection, but without a toggle to throw.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Yep, I probably used the same $7.50 switch from Lowes, but left all my plastic fittings only pressed together. The switch in it's recessed home at the end of the compartment which is usually facing up, stays in a puddle. I'll have to buy another switch and seal everything up which will put me back to the same $$ as if I'd bought the $18 waterproof switch at West Marine! :D :oops:

Those swims are only to cool off, right?
Mr Marc
Pain Boater

Post by Mr Marc »

Hi Scott,
Do you use 10 AA batteries in your compartment?
Do you have problem with the pipe being in your way?

Marc
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

It's actually 12 AA rechargeables - the NiMH batts are a little less than 1.5 V each so the voltage is right. The enclosure was made by Marc Evans.

The pipe (I'm assuming you mean the white hose, not the enclosure which is made from black ABS pipe) hasn't been in the way at all though when I get a chance, I will tidy that up. probably by cutting a groove in the side of the saddle to recess it into. I'd like to keep it easy to remove for travel or swapping into another boat.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

I also use 12 AA nimh for my setup and it's just enough currant, not too much voltage (14.4 total) but the pump is going to be slow running if you don't use batteries with enough A. I use t some 2700mAh and it works great. Normally, these pumps are sucking 3000Amp at about 13V...

Before you ask, you actually don't need to put a fuse either: the batteries just can't give more than that!

I also had to change the switch that died after rusting and the rubber cap + O-ring I use now still doesn't seemd enough to keep it dry so my guess I'm gonna have to change it regularly...

My setup here:

http://picasaweb.google.fr/Marclamenace ... DE6rUfVnM#
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Mr Marc
Pain Boater

Post by Mr Marc »

For the pumps in my other boats, I bought stainless steal switches in a boat store. It is made by Evinrude for boats engins and it is still like new.

Marc
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

marc,

for your behind the saddle mounted pump, is it just nestled into a cut out in the foam, or do you have the pump attached some how? it was difficult to tell from the pictures...

i like the under the saddle mounting spot, but i have ankle blocks in my boat, and i think they would be in the way of getting the pump in or out--and i'd like to be able to move it between boats...

tons of h2o here in the southeast....too bad a bunch of it ended up in my basement.

thanks...
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

just a thought from my setup. I took the Altwood 1100 with built in float switch and carved in from the front of my saddle , with a notch cut on each side to allow water to get in.
I then slid the pump all the way in the saddle, this pump is narrower than the other altwood pumps with out the built in float switch. I then strapped down my battery pack to two D rings in front of my saddle. Hose comes up and is looped thru my bag cage and around side ofcockpit lip. fits right in.
This pump is a bit more expensive with the built in float switch and doesnt empty out as much but allows for no switch on the deck to get in the way (altho you it has wires so you can put a three way switch in) If i need to I can reach my hand down past my ankle to the manual switch to get the rest of the water out.

The pump can be removed in seconds and transfered to another boat if need be.
Proud Yankee
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Good one Marc about the switch. I'll try to find one of these.

golder,

Too bad I don't have handy pictures for this same pump in my other boat. The same setup you see in the pyranha boat, being squished under the saddle (no straping) with the battery case straped over the foam saddle kneehole, also goes in my other boat, (an ME with small saddle and thightstraps) behind the saddle with the battery case in front of the saddle, a strap holds both the pump and case in place. Indeed very easy to adapt to most boat specifications.

The through-hull plug and hose are the most hard pieces to plan to position I think. You want to avoid foot entrapment and still keep the shortest lenght of hose, since the pump won't empty it. Then it flows back in the boat when you turn the pump off.

I like the new Tsunami pumps from attwood. a lot of power in a smaller design. Works well for me, doesn't stop to pump when you get some air in it (the rule pumps does that I beleive) and is easy to break apart to remove small rocks or other stuff that may get stuck in there. My T1200 rocks.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o