Remix 69 C-1 outfitted and reviewed

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Bahndo
c

Post by Bahndo »

Nice color, you happen to have the flowers on your too do you?
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

I would have liked to - but it´s to much Euro-$ for some flowers...

But normally I wear a girdle of flowers around my helmet - it just got flushed away on the picture :D
imagine
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

Hi to all Remixers,

how much forward is your backrest from the rim ?
How did you trim the boat ?

Cheers Frank
imagine
mathieuf
c

Post by mathieuf »

fez wrote:
how much forward is your backrest from the rim ?
Good question! I will convert one on next week.

Someone can answer?

Thnaks!

MaT
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Per Bernie's suggestion, I started out at 8" set back from the back of the rim and like it.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

7.5" on the 79 for me. be careful going past 8. it will start to turn more than you want.

just wondering, why the 69? it is only marginally shorter and an inch narrower. hepp told me he tried the 69 and didn't like it.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

The 69 because it is an inch narrower and is much faster than the 79 because of it.
mathieuf
c

Post by mathieuf »

At 205, do you think that the 69 is an ok size for me?
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I weigh 170 and recently did an overnigfht in the boat with 30# of gear and it was getting a little twitchy. However, 205 mostly in the torso and above the waterline probably paddles differently that 170 plus 30# stuffed in front of the bulkhead.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

One more thing. LL suggested weight range for the 69 is 130-240 I think. Most of the time when I choose a kayak hull for a conversion I go up a notch in size. You might be better off in the 79 whose upper recommended limit is 280 I think. Check the LL website for accurate paddler weight recommendations.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

The remix 69 paddles awful if you're even closing on the top of the weight range, I'm 87kg (191lbs) and found that it simply sat too low in the water. I'd very much reccomend going up a size!
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Seat Rail Conversions are easy: I did a bulkhead/single strap conversion with airplane seat belt buckles for quick release. Cam buckles from an old cascade outfitting were used to adjust the thigh straps for tightness. The bulkhead is not glued in but held tightly in place by 1" nylon webbing that runs from the deck of the boat to the seat rail. There is easy access to the bow for storage. I placed a foam shim between the bow foam pillar and the bulkhead, held in place with velcro. The thickness of the shim can be changed to accomodate larger paddlers or winter clothing. I placed the attachment points for the thigh straps on the hull rather far behind me to avoid the need for hip pads. I wanted to save all the exit room I could. Georgia Stu has put up three pics here: http://s616.photobucket.com/albums/tt24 ... onversion/

Buy a hull from Bernie: I got this hull from Bernie at a real good price and he brought it to me on one of his trips south to pick up more boats. It came empty except for foam walls and the seat rail and had no factory holes predrilled. It was very easy to convert.
mathieuf
c

Post by mathieuf »

Good job cheajack! Im not sure If I want a double strap system or a bulkhead/strap one. I love the advantage to adjust the system with what you are wearing. Her in canada in summer we can be in light t-shirt and in spring there have a lot of snow on the shore...

How far are your knees in the bulkhead?

MaT
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

How far are your knees in the bulkhead?

Mid thigh
mathieuf
c

Post by mathieuf »

Thanks to all

Here's how I have outfit my remix, I have bet on light outfit