Open boating or C1 in Costa Rica

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jimmyj
c

Open boating or C1 in Costa Rica

Post by Jimmyj »

I'm looking for any info on renting a solo open boat or C1 in Costa Rica over Christmas. I spoke with someone at Costa Rica Rios that has open boats and C1's and they cannot rent me a boat over Christmas nor due they have any trips available otherwise I would go with them. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Walsh
CBoats Addict

David Baer

Post by Walsh »

I was in the same situation about a year ago. I had given up when I saw a post on the Coastals message board. David Baer is a US ex-pat from the Roanoke VA area who now lives on the outskirts of San Jose. He retired to open boats from c-boats and rents out his personal fleet, including a Detonator, a Phantom, a Shredder and a couple of butt boats. You'll need you own paddles and gear. We only had time for a day of boating, and met him in La Virgen. He arranged for a guide out of the Sarapiqui Outdoor Center - very helpful guy and very reasonable prices.

He can be reached at baersx2@hotmail.com, and is willing to call out to the US with his skype account.
FURZTROCKEN!
Jimmyj
c

Thanks!

Post by Jimmyj »

That's awesome! Thanks for the info. It sounds like there is still hope for my 12 yr old lad to kayak while his old man canoes!
stefanie
c

Alternatives

Post by stefanie »

If Costa Rica doesn't work out for you, I know Esprit has boats in Mexico, near Veracruz, and could for sure help you out.

I was down last year, and had a chance to open boat and kayak, so it sounds like there would be a trip that both you and your son could enjoy. The rivers around their base were awesome...a mix of class II, III and IV, all doable (with a bit of safety here and there), the people really friendly, the food great, and the town and scenery incredible.

Last time I was there Esprit had Preludes, Taureaus, a spanish fly, an evergreen solito, a tandem boat (the blast...maybe you could get your son interested in the better whitewater sport!), and as I understand it, they also have a L'edge prototype down there this year.

If you're interested the email is mexico@whitewater.ca (website www.whitewater.ca). You can also PM me for info on my trip.

Hopefully you find somewhere you can go!!