Does the water color make a difference?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Louie

Does the water color make a difference?

Post by Louie »

Are you or any of your friends freaked out when the river is muddy? I know this don't apply to the Northern midwest people your river always looks like someone dumped in a bunch of coffee. However down here our rivers can be muddy at 2 foot when it just come up but then be cylistal clear at 3 feet after it has been runnin a while. 2 foot and muddy was a buzz word for someone carrin or not runnin sumthin not because it was high but rather it was muddy Yersterday on the Cheoah the river was as clear as a bell and it seems a much friendlier river with out the silt floatin. Did anyone else boat this weekend? When does the boatin season end up north, Canada, Califorina, BC, Midwest. If i was in Mexico right now the big stuff would still have water but the small creekie stuff would just be gettin low enought to do, well down in the Veracruz area.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

muddy water don't bother me, but seems gnarlier, more exciting, fun. like boating in a thunderstorm or with a hangover
Joe
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

I would not want to swim in it but do not mind paddling Around here when the water is like that that treatment plant has usually overflowed. The drain water and sewage go to the same pipes and the plants can not handle it and just dump excess capacity into the river
djutzi
C Guru

...in Canada

Post by djutzi »

the water doesn't really get muddy up here in Canada, in my experience (Ontario/Quebec).

Its getting pretty cold though. I was out last weekend and know some people who paddled yesterday, but most people are already done for the year, I think. No doubt some people will paddle year-round as long as theres open water between the ice...theres no ice on the rivers yet but it will come soon, and the water is cold enough that even with a dry suit you don't want to be in there for very long. Plus the days are so short now - nearly dark by 4:00.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Muddy water

Post by 2opnboat1 »

For me it depends on the river or creek, if it is one that I know should be pretty then it bothers me, If i Know it is a muddy one thats cool as long as it is flowing good,I hate muddy elf levels, muddy good water is great it keeps all the none creekers off
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

You ask that - in the land of cotton...

...well hades-yeah!!!

brown is usually a good sign... because that freak'in out - comes with jumping up and down for joy... cause it means not only we can boat today, but tomorrow, and the next...
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

I don't like it when the water is yellow.
Proud Yankee
Bill M
C Guru

Muddy Water

Post by Bill M »

The first time I paddled a muddy river I was a little worried, couldn't see the rocks you know. No problem now unless it is so high you can smell the dirt in it(or the sewage runoff!) I do preferr it clear but not really an issue.
Bill
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Louie, your subcontinental Indian ancestors used to drink their own water----- a vaccination against swine poo.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Sorry Northern Italy and Southern France
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

i think that muddy a river is pushier than a clear river running at the same level. could be totally wrong, but it's always felt that way to me. does sediment load make water heavier? i know it makes rocks harder to see and water harder to read!
Louie

Post by Louie »

"i think that muddy a river is pushier than a clear river running at the same level." Gabb

knowin a little bit about tribity in water, I think any change in the pushiness of water would have to be measured in sci notaion you know like .00003 x 10 - 5689.

of course if you only think it seems pusher then that goes back to my original point ( you are head foricatin yourself)
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

Sometimes muddy can be a pain, cause caint see rocks slightly underwater, and ends up affecting yer line. that and I think muddy water must be denser, more drag on the boat.
Louie

Post by Louie »

heck people I am talk muddy "water" not paddlin on a Califorina landslide. Just how much soil erosion are you all use to? heck a few four wheeler up stream, a couple of farrel hogs in rut, I'm not talkin about a 7500 home subdivision half a mile above the put in. Think colored water not mud.

If you hear hoof beats don't think Zebras
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

oink-oink... oink-oink-oink.... Oh-inK..inkink

Excuse me, but those farrel hawgs.... btw they're hoofers too.