cold weather gear

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

monstertruckfred
C Boater

cold weather gear

Post by monstertruckfred »

as a 1st winter season paddler i need advise on getting some winter gear together. i got a limited budget, the cheaper the better.
i was lookin at the nrs grizzly wet suit. but what do i need to wear with it and such? splash jacket? jock strap? bubba teeth? etc.

help me.... i don't wanna let the cold stop me from enjoying the water.
thanks,
brandon
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

alot of people peicework their way into winter gear, only to buy a drysuit in the end. you could easily spend more on wetsuit peices, drytop, rodeo pants or whatever all combined than on a used drysuit. do the right thing, keep the boys warm and happy. buy a used drysuit from a buddy or the kiddypool. in the end you'll be glad you did.
Joe
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

if you can afford it, i'd try to scrape together the money for a used dry suit. with a couple layers of polypro underneath i am comfortable on many days when will tend to say, "you're going paddling today? are you nuts?." you can't beat it with a stick. knowing i'll be warm and dry (hades, i' m usually sweatin') makes me much more likely to get out boating, regardless of the weather. for me, it aint just a comfort thing, its a safety thing. letting your core body temp drop is a real good way to start doing real stupid things.

if you're patient, there are good deals on used dry suits out there--boatertalk worked well for me.
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Have to second that. Get a drysuit and you're set.
monstertruckfred
C Boater

Post by monstertruckfred »

yeah... i knew it would come to this.....
i'll probally look better in a dry suit anyway.
haha thanks
RStarring
c

Dry Suit deal

Post by RStarring »

Look up Bill & Paul's Sport Haus in Grand Rapids MI on the web. They have a brand new Kokatat Meridian (size: Large) in Tropos material. It's a 2008 model and you can get it for $500 (probably less if you know how to bargain). Hard to beat that, if the size is right for you (check Kokatat's website).

I talked to them less than a week ago. They WANT to sell it. It's the only one they have in stock. I almost bought it, but decided to spend more and got a Gore Tex model from NOC last week when they had a 25% off sale.
Roger Starring
PincheLocoGringo
Pain Boater

Post by PincheLocoGringo »

I spent March and April last year paddling in a layer of under armour, an IR onesie, a splash jacket and pants. In the deathyak (ducky), on anything that the GDI paddled. I have to agree with the rest about the dry suit. I wouldn't trade mine for nothing...except maybe a nicer one.
If common sense were the prevailing wage, I'd always be broke.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I spent more for my dry suit than I did for most of the boats I own and I'm glad I did. Bite the bullet. Unlike most threads, here most everyone agrees.
bobthepainter
Pain Boater

Post by bobthepainter »

REI ... had a sale on a palm suit for $299
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

brandon, check your pm
Larry
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

definitely worth getting one with relief zipper & booties. i wouldn't have it any other way
Joe
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

A drysuit is the way forwards, even in my old, very broken* IR DoubleD; I'm substantially warmer than in seperates, even my good not-leaky seperates.

A relief zip is essential, booties are nice, but more of a personal preference thing, and with an ankle seal and warm wetsuit boots, you've instantly halved the likelyhood of the suit starting to leak.

*I have to wear wetsuit leggings underneath if I'm in an OC1 or expect to be wading, bad times.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

If you want a cheaper/ more flexible version of the drysuit, do it this way; Get a good dry top, then a pair of dry pants from NRS or similar vendor. You can layer under it with fleece or fuzzy rubber depending on how cold it is, and how much you expect to swim. If you expect to be out in sub freezing temps and water with ice floating in it, you'd probably be better off in the best drysuit you can find,
advantages; no need for relief zipper, much cheaper, you don't have to wear the whole thing as a unit
disadvantages; this set up can leak at the waist if not put on carefully, i.e.,(not 100% water tight). Can't get integrated booties. more items to remember.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Dry top and bibs are better than dry top and dry pants. Dry suit is the best.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

and booties as part as the drysuite are worth getting the dry suite. I have bothe dry suite w/ booties and a drytop/pants system w/ wetsuite pants. When the weather is in between the desciding factor is weather I want dry feet or not. If yourfooties/booties and drysuite later with. Id make shore the drysuite includes your feet.

thats my pittily two scents
Proud Yankee