Perception HD-1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ezwater
C Maven

Perception HD-1

Post by ezwater »

Somebody know the specs and the design history of the Perception HD-1? I used to hear it was a built-up Hahn, or that it was related to John Berry's Flashback.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

Mikey B
CBoats Addict

HD-1

Post by Mikey B »

From an old buyers guide

HD-1 (aluminum rails and thwarts) and HD-1 Sola (wood rails and thwarts)...both standard with Perception Saddle.
Length 13'-6" Width 30" Depth 13 2/3" :) :) Weight varies from 43 lbs to 56 lbs depending on options.
"Designed for the paddler who wants the versatility of a C-1 but still wishes to retain the excitement of an open canoe"
Louie

Post by Louie »

Ya ranks up there with the Old Town Otter. Otter get another boat is what we use to tell Bob Flower
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

naw louie, the HD1 was way ahead of it's time. you and i were in sundburst II and still behind the curve.
paddlr
red boat ready
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Thanks, guys. :)
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

I used to paddle an HD-1. I liked it. It was high performance in it's day. Does anyone here still paddle one?

Happy New Year.
JKaz
Louie

Post by Louie »

Saw one on a truck on the Ocoee a few years back. We still see a few OCA's but never see a HD1.
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

I paddle with someone who uses an HD1 for multy day WW river trips. It's getting soft but still holding on!
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Yes - Jennifer Taylor from near Birmingham, the other half of Jennifer-n-Lonewolf ....still has and uses one. I really loved that one, after getting a much-handed-about but still nearly new one. It was bomb proof and maybe the best boat Perception every sold. However if you ever pick one up these days, it's like Oh-man was I ever that strong! This was the boat Bob Miller ran the Grand in, long before Nolan or Bob.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Mr. Jay Not-Elvis on this board has at least one.
Riverscout
C Boater

Post by Riverscout »

Just to clarify - J. "Not Elvis" has two HD-1's, one HD-2 and is attempting to collect all remaining hulls to preserve the history of his first open boat. Or maybe it was to ensure total open boat domination when all other ABS open boats dissolve away and the ancient royalex proves to be the only material to withstand the test of time!!! Yep, that was it. And seriously, if you've never paddled an HD-2 it is quite an experience.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Paul Joffrion in Durham, NC has collected 3 or 4 HD-1's and still paddles them. They must weigh 80# but still are going strong. The tickness of the ABS in those boats is twice that in either of my Ocoees.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Old royalex rocks - I dropped my ME about 12' onto concrete, on it's bow - only cracked the deckplate. We have a 1975 OCA on the trailer - not perfect, but pretty stout.
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

The HD1 was my first whitewater open canoe and I agree it must have wieghed 80#.

The guy I sold it to never used it ( I told him it would not be a good duck hunting boat for him and his dog) and it may still be around. I'll start asking around if there are people collecting them.
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT