Some things Never Change...Some do !

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

woahh, that was sick. I'll put it on my to do list. 8)
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Louie

Post by Louie »

It was an Encore, I have one you can use Dooley.

What about Slam dunk on the upper? A slide of Bailey doin an ender there won the best paddleing picture in 1989 at the NPFF
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Looks like I found something to add to my "to do" list in my big boat.
Enders and pirouettes just aren't the same in little boats.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

TNbound wrote:Enders and pirouettes just aren't the same in little boats.
Yes... but the nice thing about the smaller boats is that you don't really need a big feature to have fun... which is precisely what the majority of features you'll find actually are. A big boat on a small-medium wave or hole is pretty boring i.m.o. and with boats like the SuperFly, SpanishFly, Aftershock, CUFly, Salsa and BlackFly you can actually have fun in a smaller wave or hole.

Other than sidesurfing (yawn) and maybe a spin or two (woo-hoo) if you are lucky... what would you do on a feature like this with what Louie refers to as a "Coal Barge"? http://www.blackflycanoes.com/ (see 1st video)

Don't get me wrong... nose bleed and supplied oxygen height required dynamic enders are cool and all... but on most rivers you aren't going to be lucky enough to find a feature big enough to launch a big boat.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

Craig Smerda wrote:
TNbound wrote:Enders and pirouettes just aren't the same in little boats.
Yes... but the nice thing about the smaller boats is that you don't really need a big feature to have fun... which is precisely what the majority of features you'll find actually are. A big boat on a small-medium wave or hole is pretty boring i.m.o. and with boats like the SuperFly, SpanishFly, Aftershock, CUFly, Salsa and BlackFly you can actually have fun in a smaller wave or hole.

Other than sidesurfing (yawn) and maybe a spin or two (woo-hoo) if you are lucky... what would you do on a feature like this with what Louie refers to as a "Coal Barge"? http://www.blackflycanoes.com/ (see 1st video)

Don't get me wrong... nose bleed and supplied oxygen height required dynamic enders are cool and all... but on most rivers you aren't going to be lucky enough to find a feature big enough to launch a big boat.
I would agree with you about short boat tricks vs. Longboat tricks , But the short boats just don't have that WOW Factor when pulling big Air Moves Like Jeff did in that Video, I'm Sorry But they Don't, You Know How many Times I Have Tore D-Rings Clean out of My Ocoees at HE LL Hole and Once in a friends Borrowed Boat at the Hole at Frank Bells Rapid On the FB.
When I switched to Fastex Buckles from Velcro I use to Keep Spare Buckles and webbing in My Life Jacket Pocket... I wish I was the Paddler I was Ten years ago sighhhh... :cry: :(
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

Craig Smerda wrote:Other than sidesurfing (yawn) and maybe a spin or two (woo-hoo) if you are lucky... what would you do on a feature like this with what Louie refers to as a "Coal Barge"? http://www.blackflycanoes.com/ (see 1st video)
In college, we used to tandem-surf 16' boats on that exact feature. The bow paddler did pushups on the gunwhales.
FURZTROCKEN!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

horizongfx wrote:I would agree with you about short boat tricks vs. Longboat tricks , But the short boats just don't have that WOW Factor when pulling big Air Moves Like Jeff did in that Video, I'm Sorry But they Don't, You Know How many Times I Have Tore D-Rings Clean out of My Ocoees at HE LL Hole and Once in a friends Borrowed Boat at the Hole at Frank Bells Rapid On the FB.
When I switched to Fastex Buckles from Velcro I use to Keep Spare Buckles and webbing in My Life Jacket Pocket... I wish I was the Paddler I was Ten years ago sighhhh... :cry: :(
I agree... 12ft+ of boat popping out of the water is far more impressive to watch than a 7-9ft boat is... but how often does that really happen in the real world? There's only a few features here in our area that might consistently launch an Ocoee... but there's literally hundreds of spots to fool around in a short OC... and still do a cheap "ender"

Foam bulkheads rule... :wink:
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

Craig Smerda wrote:
horizongfx wrote:I would agree with you about short boat tricks vs. Longboat tricks , But the short boats just don't have that WOW Factor when pulling big Air Moves Like Jeff did in that Video, I'm Sorry But they Don't, You Know How many Times I Have Tore D-Rings Clean out of My Ocoees at HE LL Hole and Once in a friends Borrowed Boat at the Hole at Frank Bells Rapid On the FB.
I agree... 12ft+ of boat popping out of the water is far more impressive to watch than a 7-9ft boat is... but how often does that really happen in the real world? There's only a few features here in our area that might consistently launch an Ocoee... but there's literally hundreds of spots to fool around in a short OC... and still do a cheap "ender"

Well...You could always Move :wink:
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

horizongfx wrote:
Craig Smerda wrote:

Well...You could always Move :wink:
Or people can get short boats... and be happy where they are. :wink:
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louie

Post by Louie »

I thought you said it was 6 degrees where you were.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Louie wrote:I thought you said it was 6 degrees where you were.
It's 66 degrees where I am at the moment... inside. :lol:
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

and

Post by Longboatin »

Shid I dont know what Lengthy talkin bout... those guys remind me of grown up on the low low yough, patch towns, partyin by the river...
I be proud to boat w/ those guys
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

I was talkin about all the "happy" comments. As much as I'd love to relate short boats to "happy" I feel it's better to refrain.
You know what they say about guys with long boats.............. I have a 16 footer!
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

horizongfx wrote:I would agree with you about short boat tricks vs. Longboat tricks , But the short boats just don't have that WOW Factor when pulling big Air Moves Like Jeff did in that Video
I dunno, I'm only paddling c-boats at all after I saw the video of CU-Flys and the blackfly Mk1 on Bussy; An OC1 Pan-Am is pretty impressive. The difference is, that the impressive moves in the short boats are modified versions of the Kayak and C1 moves;

I'm yet to see someone blunt an Occoe, though I'd like to.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

You need to come to the Southeast... they do a lot of "blunts" on the Ocoee :lol: