Homes!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Louie

Post by Louie »

Next trip to the warehouse I'll take a camera. Of course with PLG's three boat, Chads two, Jim Littles one and my four in my wifes garage I have 10 at the house and 32 in the warehouse down town.

OK what is the deal that we don't see any Homes here in the US. I take it that it is called the homes after Homie because it look even more like one of Frankies boat than Deckers knock off does. Of course imitation is the sincearest form of faterly
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I thought it *was* a Frankie boat, no? If not, it is some sincere flattery...
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

sbroam wrote:I thought it *was* a Frankie boat, no? If not, it is some sincere flattery...
It is to the best of my knowledge his boat... I just don't know for certain if "he" actually finished it before he passed away. I do know he was working on it though.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Louie

Post by Louie »

OK show what I know, but now that I think about it he was workin for them wasn't he.
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

No wonder you hardley ever see one!!
Priced not to sell.... :o
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Louie wrote:OK show what I know, but now that I think about it he was workin for them wasn't he.
Yassir... he obviously did the CUFly and worked on the Red Fred kayak (which ironically works better as a C1 :wink: ) and some other boats for them. I'm unsure what stage of completion the Homes was in when he last left Germany. Maybe Eli or Phil have more info... Mark Saxon or David Simpson may know as well.

Remember... Robson has the old Savage Designs oven that David re-assembled in Bavaria. :wink:
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

I had it once and it cracked after half a year. :(
Every Homes I see now and then is cracked in the bow.

Apart from this material problem it is a very nice little boat even that it has a bit few volume in bow and stern. It really should be made in PE.
imagine
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

fez wrote:I had it once and it cracked after half a year. :(
Every Homes I see now and then is cracked in the bow.

Apart from this material problem it is a very nice little boat even that it has a bit few volume in bow and stern. It really should be made in PE.
Esquif can repair Twintex fwiw.

I recently saw a Zephyr that was wrapped brought back to life...

email or call Jacques @ Esquif (although I'm sure the logistical challenge of getting the boat to them for repair would be difficult and expensive... it can be done.)
Atucky
CBoats Addict

Ive been in one

Post by Atucky »

My hopes were that it would be a big Prelude. But I didn't find it to be that way.

I don't think it has as much rocker as the prelude. I wish one of the pics posted in this thread had both boats sitting upright, with one on top of the other.

They are beautiful, and well made boats.
Adam Trunnell
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

It does look like its got some more initial stability. Almost looks like its got a little more volume? does it ride any higher?
Proud Yankee
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

@ Craig: yes, shure it can be done for a lot of bucks. But how long does it last ?

It has way more initial stability than the Prelude. I really liked it. It has less Rocker but still is good to turn. Its also fast.
The only downside were the thin ends for me. It rides a little bit wet and going through hydraulics in low water the stern tends to be pushed to the ground. This is maybe the reason for the cracks at the ends.
imagine
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Fez... shoot some pictures of the damaged area for me.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I got 'talking' to James Weir about the Homes and he had this to say...
Funkidreadz wrote:Both the Homes and the Prelude are boats that you either love or hate, i took a while to get used to the homes and still have a soft spot for it, i am not the worlds biggest prelude fan BUT on hard whitewater would rather paddle a prelude than a homes i think. the prelude needs a lot time spent on outfitting before it becomes a serious contender; sideswalls, hip pads and a pump will help. when empty the homes is quicker than the prelude but when they have got water in i think the prelude is easier to paddle than the homes.
ho hum not really a clear answer at all but there we go,
Now this inspires me to get some sidewallsand pumps installed and keep trying with the Prelude.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)