Open boaters on the Usk, south Wales

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

BigMike
C Guru

Post by BigMike »

oc ender wrote:i'm planning a trip tu the Uk,was wondering where can i rent a open boat or c-1and gear.Love to paddle a couple of the rivers over there,class3-4.
I might be able to help you out with a spanish fly. My Mitchells are sacred though, so couldnt help with blades - if your plans work out, drop me a PM.

Same goes for you Louie. US C1'ers did me massive favours when I was over there a few years ago, so any chance i get i'm happy to help.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Thanks, always willing to help the mother country
outrage dave

Thats me that is

Post by outrage dave »

Wow. what a suprise to see me on this forum. That's me paddling the Etive. Oh there's no photo of me doing right angle cause I got pined on the run in. and everyone was to busy trying to get me out. there was a guy in an Outrage who ran the river on the same day. That was impresive.
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

Said river looked like this yesterday.....

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb53 ... g&newest=1

Chris...
SunburyAndy

Re: Open boaters on the Usk, south Wales

Post by SunburyAndy »

ezwater wrote:Check out these shots of Brits running class 2 in winter, on the Usk in Wales. Properly boated and equipped, doing well. "Canadian" canoeing has gotten much more popular over there.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ ... on-the-Usk
Hi Guys, this is a surprise, I didn't expect to see myself being talked about by a group of proper OC1ers :D

I am the one in the red Ocoee, I had literally just bought the boat early that morning from a fellow Song of the Paddler, despite the pictures I got on much better with it than I dared to imagine, so far I am loving it but have got LOTS to learn.

Louie, the Usk is a strange river the level go up and down very quickly. If you look on SOTP you will see there a few trips with the river in spate where most of it is then a solid grade 3, that weekend it was dog low however we decided to paddle it as most of us had driven more than 200 miles to get there and its a becoming a bit of a tradition to paddle the last weekend before Christwas while everyone else is stocking up on food and presents!

Anyway I'll be back for some hot tips on how to master my Ocoee :wink:
Louie

Post by Louie »

We have diven to a river and set in the parking lot while it rained put on roade the bubble and when we got done and drove back to the top it was too low to run again. sorta like sex, timin is everthing.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Louie will paddle anything dog low, or it'll be dog low by the time he empties his boat a few times. :wink: