ALF 2010- Who's coming????

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Louie

Post by Louie »

Oh ya we got to have Jarrods Knee in it. Over the falls makes it just a sprint race and gives an advantage to the young buck and buckets. Longer race kinda makes a boat dump a requirment (another vital skill often over looked)You do realize that upper Tellico's only rapid is Jarrods knee the rest are just ledges.
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

Alright, so I just finished hashing out the schedule with my son and Ex; everyone seems happy. Looks like I'll be down there the 17th to drop him off and to boat Thus./Fri/Sat. I'm committed now, 'cause either way, I have to drive to Knoxville to drop the kiddo off. If I manage not to get kilt this year, maybe I'll bring him along next year. Hmmm, I'd have to buy another boat though....

Phreon
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Louie wrote:Oh ya we got to have Jarrods Knee in it. Over the falls makes it just a sprint race and gives an advantage to the young buck and buckets. Longer race kinda makes a boat dump a requirment (another vital skill often over looked)You do realize that upper Tellico's only rapid is Jarrods knee the rest are just ledges.
just bridge-2-bridge?

((somebody could simply get lucky))

How about to the 2nd bridge, still would be a 30 min run.
Denton
c

Post by Denton »

Good for you Phreon!

We knew you could get it worked out and join everyone.

BTW, I've got a Zephyr available for demo/sale if you think the boy would like it in a year or two.

~Denton
Louie

Post by Louie »

Phil WTF are you talkin about? Bridge to Bridge is two miles. The next time the river changes sides of the road (second bridge) is seven miles down river. I don't really think a nine mile race is what Richard had in mind.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Ok, I'm ready for the flames - why is it called Ain't Louie Fest? :o
Louie

Post by Louie »

Becasue I didn't want it to be called Louie Fest ( That was a Kiddy Pool party for my 50th birthday years ago).

When The American Kayaker and Sue Tate finally pissed me off to the point I couldn't take one more write up in the American Kayakers about how we were all dead and gone. I combinned the 15 year annuel Canadian open boat spring break with a 9 day , new river everyday, river trip. I didn't think we need to name it anything but people wanted a name ( I think it was a Yankee thing) some one said lets call it Louie Fest and I made a point of insistin it "AIN'T LOUIE FEST " and of course that is what some smart butt called it and the name stuck. however I want to restate that it ain't my fest it is our fest a chance for the single sticker of the world to get together and let a bunch of dumb butt buttboater see and know we ain't dead and don't intent to die.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Louie wrote:Phil WTF are you talkin about? Bridge to Bridge is two miles. The next time the river changes sides of the road (second bridge) is seven miles down river. I don't really think a nine mile race is what Richard had in mind.
I see you know nothin....

... in the art of compromise, you have to over extend your wants - in order to get your real desires.

So with that said.... I was thinking how nice drawing the line just below bounce-off-boulder would be. That way the race would include not only B.O.B., but that nice section leading up to the bridge, and also that next goode (?diagonal ledges?). All-n-all that would be three really good drops, for just a very short walk back up, and provide a really bunch-em-up goode finish line.

It would likely only extend the race by a minute (or so), but potentially :roll: with a lot of spectator appeal.
Louie

Post by Louie »

OK but what does that have to do with a third bridge? Not tomention parkin.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

what's the handicap for non-locals that don't actually know the run?
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Louie

Post by Louie »

WELL THE HANDICAP IS THAT THEY ARE NON LOCAL WHO DON'T KNOW THE RUN.

A couple of stradiges could be to follow a local right up to the finish line and then sprint ahead to win, or come down early for a few hundred practices runs. Kinda like the Nationals where they are only held on a few rivers, what do you all do for out of towners when the race is at that ditch is Warsaw?
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Seeing that this is a GDI event It will be from the bridge at the put in to the bridge at the take out Mass start with three groups (super hero, hero, and mere mortals). THe Boat give away will be for the fast time out of the Hero and mortal class, dont feel that the super hero class needs a free boat seeing most of them have boat deals anyway. Verycheap entry fee, and a good time. I wanted to do the blue gray thing but folks said that was insensitve to the yanks. The reason for bridge to bridge is the fact i dont want to sprint, it not longer because I dont want to have a heart attack. and seeing I am the one that will catch greif from the FS it is my rules. dam I am a butt. so people put you twinkies done and train it is going to be a fast race, with lots of crashes. BTW as long as boats float the race will happen, If it is flooding eat your wheaties
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Louie

Post by Louie »

OK, Richard it is your race and you get to set the rules. I know I am in the Super Hero class because I am sponcered and I will be happy to accept my role as a buffer to make sure none of the other Super Hero end up in last place. Not to mention the fact that runnin with Dooley as much as I do I am use to watchin other canoes rapidly goin out of sight. Any idea what day? The first Day of ALF is the Tellico clean up day so a bunch of butt boater pickin up trash could watch us run and Tellico is a easy run for the Canadian who have driven all night to get here, not tryin to organized or anything and I know all is rain dependant.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I was thinking the first sunday just to let the folks driving in get a little rest (dont want to hear any bitching) But the first sat will work give me some feed back
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Louie

Post by Louie »

don't make me never no mind, I fly back from Korea and should get in Knoxville late Friday so I will be draggin butt on Saturday as well as the Canadian who leave school on Friday and drive all night. Tellico will have water everyday anyway so if just hohum stuff is runnin anyway the first weekend is fine. I just though it would be cool for the butt boater pickin up trash to see a couple of hundred canoers on the river and Tellico has a section for everyone.

Now as far as not hearin bitchin you got to be shittin me right?

there will be stick racers racin and you know they go to those stick race things to file protest as much as race and of cousrse they wait till the person they are protestin have left.

this is the singler sticker event so what ever the majority say goes and of course the GDI has no real intrest in the race we just want to watch how everyone else acts.

one final thought, with swimmin Mexican bein sponscered that put him in the Super hero class right. with Dick and doopey not bein that put them in one of the lesser classes right? This should make for some good conversation on the way to the river.