what can you tell me about a prelude?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

esprit
C Guru

Either one

Post by esprit »

Hey Big Spenser,

I am 6'3 200lbs and both a Solito and Prelude feel fine for my size and weight. For durability and creeky paddling Prelude will last much longer.

jim
bigspencer07
Pain Boater

Post by bigspencer07 »

thanks esprit,
think more rebuilding of paddling skills more than losing weight will solve any of my rusty issues :lol:
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Adding yet another question to this thread, how does the stability of a Prelude stack up against a Spark?
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

Just my two cents, since I have paddled the detonator and the prelude. I am a big guy, 6'3 220 pounds. At my weight and height (I am a class 3+-4 paddler) I found the prelude to be very unstable and VERY TIPPY. I paddle the Detonator now and love it, i found I got the responsiveness of the prelude and gained the stability I was looking for...People swear by the prelude and I love the plastic, maybe it just takes a better paddler as you get taller and heavier. I wanted to love the prelude, but it just didn't happen.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I'm about 220 and have spent a grand total of 20 minutes in a Prelude - I wanted to like it and maybe could have w/time (and diet!) Stability wasn't the deal breaker, it was speed. 220 is just too much in that boat.

I've spent a couple of hours in a Spark - awesome boat, but quite different. Fast. Stable enough. "Nimble". I wouldn't turn one down but would probably consider composite first.
ckingoc1
C Guru

Post by ckingoc1 »

sbroam wrote:I'm about 220 and have spent a grand total of 20 minutes in a Prelude - I wanted to like it and maybe could have w/time (and diet!) Stability wasn't the deal breaker, it was speed. 220 is just too much in that boat.

I've spent a couple of hours in a Spark - awesome boat, but quite different. Fast. Stable enough. "Nimble". I wouldn't turn one down but would probably consider composite first.
Its faster than a fly. And drier than a Skeeter although I find the Prelude a little less stable than a Skeeter.I'm about 205
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I think boats like the Prelude and Solito are made for lighter paddlers--200 pounds and under. The heavier you are, the more the boat sinks in the water and you lose speed, spin and stability. If I was a bigger dude, I'd probably paddle an Ocoee.
oc ender
C Guru

prelude

Post by oc ender »

i tried to just sit in the bugger and could barely do that.the outfitting sucked,and i was still a rookie.I'm 6'0 and 190lbs.I'd like to try one with good outfitting but i look at it and i'm sure the results would be the same.No real edges,kinda' round with wicked rocker!Love to love it,but...
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
bigspencer07
Pain Boater

Post by bigspencer07 »

...think the prelude is on the to-paddle list.
french erick
C Guru

Post by french erick »

Re prelude,
I think I'm rather a small lad compare to youse lads...I don't do imperial :roll: so I'm 1m82 for 74kg.

Also changed the outfitting that seemed to have been the original prelude one. Got my knees more spread out and cut about an inch or so ? (2/3 cm).

I didn't know any better before since that's the only boat I've ever paddled...but hades it's now super stable :wink: :wink:
Erick Baillot
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

just buy a Maxim we have a few around got a purple and yellow matter of fact have a couple of each. Yes they are royalex but they are very very very solid
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

or wait for a L'edge :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
agrestal
C Guru

Post by agrestal »

I paddled ncdavid's pyranha prelude a couple times at the WWC and it was fun but super heavy and slow. You do have to keep an active blade in the water - it's a little more stable with some water in it, but that's even more weight. I thought it felt significantly more stable in rapids than on the flat water. (It was funny to have 3 kayakers get in it at the top pool and immediately flip on or before the 1st paddle stroke!)

I got in mac's maxim and loved it for all the same benefits the prelude has, but it doesn't seem nearly as heavy and maybe that's part of why it doesn't seem as slow to me. The initial stability seems greater without giving up any secondary. If you're near NC and want to try my maxim (had to have one!) you're welcome to.
canoera hasta la muerte
www.CostaRicaRios.com
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Shannon - you think the Prelude has even LESS initial stability than the Maxim?

I do love my Maxim! It is very light, even with a bulkhead and pump. Mine is Royalex (not Royalite) and is very solid. With S-glass skid plates, it takes abuse very well, and I'm a novice paddler, so I do hit rocks frequently.
agrestal
C Guru

Post by agrestal »

Yup, I do
canoera hasta la muerte
www.CostaRicaRios.com