Offside side surf technique...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Lengthy wrote:Or you could do what a couple of us do and just switch. Switching doesn't take any longer than crossing and it gives you two on sides. It really is the best way but everyone will tell you it's wrong.
You must switch a lot faster than me. I'm more likely to lose the top hand grip completely.
Bob P
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

Actually I agree with you on this one Lengthy definitely a valid method for hole riding especially the unintentional kind. I don't think it is as fast as a cross stroke but in this case I think it can be used effectively, but don't think it should replace a reliable cross stroke in a hole. This is one of the situations where i wish i could paddle worth a lick on the left and roll on the left but the hole helps with the roll its the getting out that can be tough.
Bill M
C Guru

Switching sides

Post by Bill M »

I agree it is a good thought except I get to working so hard on changing hands I tend to put to much weight on one knee and lose the level ride. If you can make the switch its great.
Bill
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Lengthy wrote:It really is the best way but everyone will tell you it's wrong.
That advice is about as useful as everybody else's advice in this thread. :P

You certainly can switch paddling sides to stay with an onside brace. For me, I will stick with the onside/offside paddling for most situations, but that's just me being me. 8)

KNeal

Oh, btw. It's WRONG! :wink:
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Lengthy wrote:Or you could do what a couple of us do and just switch. Switching doesn't take any longer than crossing and it gives you two on sides. It really is the best way but everyone will tell you it's wrong.
  • ... and then you get a chance :wink: to learn that other offside!
BTW u got video to prove a swap-as-fast theory. I just can't see two actions (swap then stroke) being faster than one... :D especially if your brace is onside - as might be with an upstream option. And Yes - I swap hands frequently, but not because of being in a hole, just in general trying to workout both shoulders and help with maintaining top end (longer distance) speed.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I have paddled so long (and dang near exclusively) on the one side that when I paddle lefty I feel like a rank beginner - I only rarely swap sides to make a move. I really don't feel confident enough to do so in (or on my way into) a hole. Consequently, I try to coach beginners to learn moves / strokes on both sides - I will definitely be working on it with my kids as they take up solo boating (where it's harder).

I'm with Phil - show me a swap that is as fast as a cross stroke. Good form cross strokes can be nearly as effective (and in some cases more effective - i.e. bow draws) as onside strokes.

[Some day when I'm all caught up and have mastered class V+ creeks, big water, slalom, and squirting and have become bored with C-boating, I'm going to start all over by switching to paddling exclusively lefty.]
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

It takes some getting used to but it becomes just another thing that happens after a while. Sometimes I'll go out on my local run and paddle on my offside for the entire run. It's really not even an offside anymore, both sides are fine.
Phil, I can't post any video I have but there's alf tellico video and pics on here somewhere of switching at the waterfall.
You move the paddle the same distance so why not just switch on the way?
oc ender
C Guru

offside

Post by oc ender »

looks interesting,hafta' try the ol' upstream lean and brace.Untill the pics,i thought it was one of those,"go get a sky hook,rookie" deals.I belive ya' now!! :D
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

dont lean upstream.... u need to make the low brace without leaning upstream. no matter what your brace is, if you lean upstream...you're gonna get shaded. But I'm sure you already know that.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Am I alone in deliberately tucking, going over and then skyhooking in this situation?

It usually brings you either out of the hole or at least gets you up the pile some and straighted out so you can roll up and surf on your onside.

If all else fails, I'll go for a cross decked powerstroke I found that more effective than a cross deck brace by a long shot.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Josh... believe the question was how to surf better, not really getting out of a hole. Lengthy sort of took it that direction, by talking about swapping hands while going over water falls, and getting down rivers, and general paddling (hijacked ).

The question was about using braces while play boating (surfing) in general, and if upstream braces were valid. And from the 3 videos he posted, it looks like 360's in particular. Hopefully we are all on he same page... as that's all I was talking about. I don't see how swapping hands really got introduced, in a discussion about playboating. Which I do know (Joshua), you know something about.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Ah, right.

Well I would stick by the offside powerstroke thing, along with aiming my head where I wanted my bow to go and aiming my pecs (ok man boobies) where I wanted my edge to go (so on no account upstream, unless I'm planning to lean back, flatten out and blast).

Swapping hands is quite valid in OC playboating (especially if you have a "playboat" the size of lengthy's)... If you watch the video of the worlds just passed all of the medaling competitors switch to complete or throw moves on the other side to increase their variety score, but in a C1 there's no need/excuse (the boats just don't get in the way as much).

If it was a retaining hole, I'd still consider using a roll in the hole to get myself onside again (as it's easier to get up the pile to set up for cartwheels, loops, and pretty much everything not a blast or spin; when you're onside).

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
dgmonster
Pain Boater

Post by dgmonster »

do a cross bow brace. It is very hard and awkward at first buy if you learn how to do it in a safe class 2-3 hole then when you get better and are getting beat down in a bigger hole its second nature to lean down river in an offside brace and figure out what to do next. just my 2 cents.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:Am I alone in deliberately tucking, going over and then skyhooking in this situation?

It usually brings you either out of the hole or at least gets you up the pile some and straighted out so you can roll up and surf on your onside.

when you say skyhooking, you talkin about an offside roll?
Joe
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

No, thrusting my body and paddle into the green/under-tow;