C1 Conversion

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

agmazzuckelli
C Boater

C1 Conversion

Post by agmazzuckelli »

I'm planning on converting my Liquidlogic Skip, and I just wanted to see how people decided where to place their saddles. Is there a general distance from the back of the cockpit people generally place their saddles?
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

No. No general distance. You will need to build/buy your saddle and before you glue it in, you will need to do a float test in a pool or calm water to determine the trim of the boat and saddle placement. Thyen you determine your thigh strap mount points.

When you do the float test get a friend to eyeball it for you while you are in the boat scooting the saddle back and forth till you get it right.
Then mark the position with a sharpy marker. Put scotch tape on the marker marks so they don't accidentally get rubbed off.
agmazzuckelli
C Boater

Post by agmazzuckelli »

That's what I thought, I just couldn't find anything on it so I wanted to make sure. Thanks
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

No rules, but some info to go by...

http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

Pat.
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

Make sure your rear thigh strap mount points are not further back than your ankle bones ( the ones that stick out). If they are back too far it can make emergency escape difficult.

On most of my boats I can get out in a pinch without unfastening the thigh straps.

Good luck with the conversion.

Jim
agmazzuckelli
C Boater

Post by agmazzuckelli »

Thanks, I'll try and post some pics when I finish up
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

jnorto01 wrote:Make sure your rear thigh strap mount points are not further back than your ankle bones ( the ones that stick out). If they are back too far it can make emergency escape difficult.

On most of my boats I can get out in a pinch without unfastening the thigh straps.

Good luck with the conversion.

Jim
That depends on what you want to do, If the OP wants to playboat a lot, then either placing the strap mounts behind them completely, or using a thighstrap and lapbelt are much more comfortable, lots of cartwheeling , looping or being upside down will all quickly dislodge you from a more loosely strapped saddle.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)