Quick Release Buckle Question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

AJ
CBoats Addict

Quick Release Buckle Question

Post by AJ »

So in outfitting my H3-255, I went with 1.5" plastic tension buckles. They seem light, hold nice, easy pull up release and simple. I put the buckles on the end coming from the side/top of the boat and plain straps from the bottom. I also made a quick release handle attaching the buckles, but don't really like it. It still feels like it could be an entrapment issue as the top straps with buckles loosened are still connected across the boat via the quick release. Plus, it makes it harder to get in and out of the boat.

In wet exit testing, I just don't think I need that quick release, as all I dois lean forward, slide my legs back and out I come. What do the C1 experts think, no release handle ok?

I wish there was a way to easy way to upload pictures in this forum. I would like to post an outfitting picture. I really like how it came out so far.
kslund
Pain Boater

Post by kslund »

You could use your facebook page, Al.

Go to a pic you uploaded, click on it, right click and "copy image location" and the put the link between image tags.

see :D
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Buckles

Post by OC1er »

The buckles need to be anchored to the bottom of the boat if you're going to bridge across them so one pull gets both. Otherwise you've put a static loop around yourself, no good. Do your buckles have the three slots in them (2 at one end, one at the other) or just slot(s) at one end? I had some that had the three slots, I thought I was on to a one strap system. I anchored one end of the strap to the side of the boat, threaded the buckle on thru the slots, then passed thru a loop anchored to the bottom, then back up thru the quick release mech. The problems encountered were: 1) there was too much friction along the strap. The single strap would not easily pull thru the latch and floor anchor. 2) when I was really throwing the boat (putting a big load on the straps) they would loosen a bit. Not much, but enough to have to readjust more than I want to. Occasionaly the buckles would flat out release under load, but I think that was due to bad buckle placement (Right on my thighs).

Airplane type buckles are the only way to go in my opinion, they are a solid but dependably-releasable connection. Good Luck!

Dan P.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Re: Quick Release Buckle Question

Post by Larry Horne »

AJ wrote: I also made a quick release handle attaching the buckles, but don't really like it. It still feels like it could be an entrapment issue as the top straps with buckles loosened are still connected across the boat via the quick release. Plus, it makes it harder to get in and out of the boat.
I know what you mean. I don't like that either. Thats why I like the airplane buckles so much. The buckles and cord attaching them together are attached to the hull, so the strap over your legs opens up completely.

I'm not sure what a tension strap is, but I think the lower the buckles are, the more things will loosen up when you pull.
...Maybe you could flip the straps and put the buckle on the bottom? I know that won't work with ladder locks. One other thing you could do is creat some sort of break-away..like velcro or a little plastic 'biner on the QR cord. Still not ideal.

If you can get out easy you don't really need a QR.
But aside from any wet exit or pin scenerios, I just find it makes getting out to scout, and getting back in (especially) in those sketchy situations much more convenient. And sometimes you need to jump out quickly to rescue your bro. :wink:
Larry
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Thanks for getting this topic going. I've been using 1.5" plastic cam-buckles, but they aren't strong enough, and don't last.

I'm interested in your suggestions about airplane buckles. I like the "pull-up-on-the-flap-to-release them" design -- very easy to cord them together, so a single pull will release them..

I'd be grateful for leads as to where to obtain airplane buckles. (Something tells me the cabin crew on my next flight might be leery of me snipping off a few. . .) Thanks in anticipation!
C'est l'aviron. . . !
keez
C Guru

Airplane seatbelts

Post by keez »

PLP,
I bought airplane seatbelt extenders on e-bay last spring for $25 cdn each. They easily have enough strap length to outfit an OC-1.
Good luck with the search, sorry I can't find the link to the site for you.
Geoff
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

Thanks Kraig for the picture posting pointer. I will take a picture and post.

The tension buckles (2") that I am using are installed on the top strap and are strong plastic that thread through one slot and back down. They hold with tension and release very easy, when lifted up.

In my set up there is no way to put them on the bottom strap and if you know the buckle that I am referring to, you could not release them on the bottom strap.

I will test some more this weekend.