Nev-a-ful

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

philcanoe
C Maven

Nev-a-ful

Post by philcanoe »

This was an idea preserved by: James Weir - who got it from - Pete Orton. I saw this at Augsburg Worlds in 95, along w/Frankie Hubbard. This version sports a foam bottom which was Homies idea...

This will link to a set of captioned photos: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 7c59456638
You can cursor over for comments, or right click to enlarge.

For particulars - I followed Jame's lead: http://blog.jamesweir.net/2010/05/nevaf ... travo.html

Hope to get it wet tomorrow!
Last edited by philcanoe on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tennOC
Pain Boater

Post by tennOC »

In Frankie's own words- "Nah! We don't want to go there, now it's just a sit-on-top" when I asked why he hadn't done one. Maybe add a manifold to the pump to get a hose to each port which would have a check valve .... :o

How do you think it will do in big holes?
BrownDog Boats- "Bring the Dog"
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I'm sure air bags were pooh poohed at first, too. And as somebody who has surfed a sit-on-top in a hole recently (that was LOL fun), I'm watching with interest...
tennOC
Pain Boater

Post by tennOC »

Don't get me wrong, I think new stuff is cool (I've got two Prelude hulls lashed together to make a small cat rig that's pretty fun). I want to see some pics of this thing in action.
BrownDog Boats- "Bring the Dog"
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Jame's says good - real good...

Just guessing it perform in holes for sure. I'm hoping it might be the ticket for continuous steep, and my goto boat for box-canyons? Could see this being real good in situations like between The Gorilla -n- Speed trap.

Yeah - we joked about it being a sit-on-top, but at least it's not a steam-powered - mechanized - or 'lectric motorized pump. Do have a couple ideas, about one way valves. But wanted to see what this did first. Of course for those with pumps, they might get by with something a bit smaller and lighter. And battery life might go way up, if it's doesn't have to run too often? Maybe not?
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

I will be interested in hearing if your results are as good as James!
Definitely an interesting idea!
funkidreadz
C Guru

Post by funkidreadz »

Hey Phil,
Cool beans I hope you have as much fun as I am having with the holes. I have written a bit more about them here
http://blog.jamesweir.net/2010/06/still ... ty-of.html
And to answer the question about whether it is a canoe or not...
I don't give a dam, it is a whole load of fun, more fun than it was before.
staying NevaFull
James
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

What's in the cooler? :lol:

I like this idea for playboating and for as Phil & James have said... long continous sections of gnarly water where dumpin' & pumpin' aren't in the cards. Can't say I'd do it to a perfectly good hull... but I'd try it with an old beat up one in a heartbeat. I think it will work even better with scuppers.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

...and if it doesnt work (knowing james I dont think he would suggest, nor do something like that tho) there is still the g/flex option (my new friend, can you guess?) to re-wall sans welding ;D

(I guess it'll work tho)

And else: Even more holes than just one big at the top, now that makes an impressive canoe.. especially for our buttboatin' friends

Jan
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

It looks like it would work great, as long as the boat handles well with that level of water in it. You need some fake cannons to roll out when in attack mode ;) Or grab a couple of pumps and fab some PVC headers if it doesn't work out too well (need a 4th hole on each side - it's got a hemi in it). ;)
funkidreadz
C Guru

Post by funkidreadz »

It looks like it would work great, as long as the boat handles well with that level of water in it.
I don't understand what you mean by that, with the holes in the boat there is LESS water in it than without them. Of course it handles better because you don't have to drive a bathtub full of water through the rapids.

I think I should clear this up, drilling holes in the side of the canoe means you have less water in the boat not more.

James, just back from a storming blast down my home run, and didn't have to dump once!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

funkidreadz wrote:I think I should clear this up, drilling holes in the side of the canoe means you have less water in the boat not more.
but you'll always have some water in the boat :wink:
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

I mean that if a boat handles like crap with 4" or water in it, it is going to handle like crap with 4" of water in it with the holes drilled through the sides. I don't know personally how that boat handles with a few inches of water, or how it handles with a few inches more, or a few inches less.

I'm not opposed to the idea, just saying that even if it works great in your particular boat, it may not work in every boat. I have all ideas it would in this boat, but you won't know until it's on the water.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I think the holes work very well in a short OC that has a fully foamed out cockpit with bulkhead outfitting and that holds very little water, like a Spanish Fly, Taureau, Prelude and such. I would not really want to try this in a bigger boat like an Ocoee, Outrage, Spark or such, as they would, even with only 4" of water, still be very ungainly to maneuver. I don 't think I'll try this myself though, for box canyobns and other places where dumping are not an option I have a C1.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Oddly enough... I don't think there is a better boat out there than the Spanish Fly that can still be paddled with confidence when full to the gunnels. No joke.