Bomber Gear Vs. Kokatat

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Anna

Bomber Gear Vs. Kokatat

Post by Anna »

Hello,
Any thoughts on Kokatat vs. Bomber Gear dry suits? The Bomber Gear's a bit cheaper which means I could afford to get a relief zipper put in (which is a great help for a female paddler). Does anyone have experiece with Bomber Gear? Thanks for the info,

Anna
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

I don't have experience with either, but I'd assume that the Kokatat is superior. I've had friends with bomber gear drytops and apparently they leak pretty bad. I don't think they have much in the way of quality control. I'd go with the kokatat for the extra money. I think you'll be happier in the long run.
Will
Bernie
C Guru

Kokatat

Post by Bernie »

Will is right! Kokatat is the bomb.
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

I think Kokatat is the way to go. I have a dry suit from them and it is the best I ever had.
They also have the good service...

Jan
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Anna,

I have a Kokatat and it is great! More important than a relief zipper is in my opinion a drysuit with either integrated feet or built in latex booties. It really helps keep your feet dry and warm. My drysuit did not have themn originally and I just had it sent out to get some installed.

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

one word... k-o-k-a-t-a-t

You won't be sorry...

(Forgot to mention... female version has drop bottom... which according to a freind put's a smile on her face)
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

another iron on the fire

Post by NZMatt »

HI Anna

Just to be different, I have a Stohlquist and I really like it!

Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
NEOC Slalom Rules
C Guru

Post by NEOC Slalom Rules »

Anna
I've had a kokotat dry suit for years and agree with others on the word "Quality". It has held up well for years. The coating on the nylon is first rate and hasn't broken down. I have blown out a neck gasket and bootie due to my care, but they were easily replaced. I totally agree that booties versus ankle gaskets is a no brainer, go with booties. I just bought a Kokotat drytop and look forward to ice out and getting it wet. I have also noticed Bomber gear frequently featured in close out marketers (sierra trading post)This usually indicates overstock, cause people aren't buying or quality control issues.
My two cents.
Pat
Open Boat/Open Mind
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Pat.... does your drysuit have the optional drop botttom as well? I know the New Englander's like that union suit look... makes things (#2) easier too I'd guess... heee heee!
MotorCityOC-1
C Guru

best $814 I ever spent!

Post by MotorCityOC-1 »

I spent the big $$$ on a top of the line Kokatat with integral nylon footies, a relief zipper, and Gortex. It has definitely been worth every penny- especially since I am:
a) a popsicle b) coffee adict c) sweaty pig

I'm not looking forward to the day i forget to re-zip the relief zipper :o
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

Man, that happened to me once!! S&$%§!, I was surfing this hole on a german river, right at the put in. It was -4 deg C (that must be something like -400 deg F) and early in the morning. I was sidesurfing and thought to myself "man, thats some pretty cold water". I surfed on and then it was really cold on my legs and in some other places. I slowly realized (hey, it was early in the morning) that something was wrong.
The day was over quite early. Even getting out of the boat was interesting cause my legs were kinda heavy :-)

On the river, Jan
River Rogue
c

Post by River Rogue »

Hello Anna,

I have a Kokatat drysuit and absolutely love it. I wish that I had gotten the "drop bottom"...but they can retrofit those. Not sure how much that option costs initially, but I can assure you it will be worth it.
The suit has held up great even with cold fingers trying to yank off tight ankle gaskets...and kept me toasty warm. I don't have experience with Bomber Gear, but this one is great.

It was worth every penny!

Anita
Cdawg

Here's one for sale on rec boats paddle

Post by Cdawg »

Subject: FS - Kokatat Meridian drysuit
Date: 2/16/04 9:53 AM Mountain Standard Time
Message-id: <87868ad6.0402160853.2f3e5b02@posting.google.com>

FOR SALE - LIKE NEW $150 obo - Kokatat Meridian drysuit, size women's
medium, w/attached neoprene booties, cobalt blue. This suit has been
worn less than 5 times and is literally like new. Neck and wrist
gaskets have been regularly treated with 303 protectant and are in