Good canoe issue of "Rapid" mag

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

Good canoe issue of "Rapid" mag

Post by yarnellboat »

If you're not familiar with Rapid, this is a good issue to check out, more OC content than usual: a bio of Smerda & L'Edge, a comparsion of Ocoee vs. Spark, custom outfitting tricks, a good piece on tandem paddling, and other things of interest like rescue scenarios and a review a creeker kayak, and more.

Pat.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Canadians must get their copies earlier than we do... just like some other things. :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Like universal health care?
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

ezwater wrote:Like universal health care?
A question just occured to me (and wouldn't have otherwise, I inexplicably take the idea of an NHS-like system for granted across the world): Do you get charged more for your health insurance if they know that you Canoe or do other adventure/extreme sports like MTB or Skiing?
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Funny, I've yet to see a "bad" canoe issue of Rapid:)

Definitely my favorite paddling magazine out there by far. Even if those to the north DO get it a few weeks before I do :wink:
Keep the C!
Adam
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

it helps if the publisher and most of the staff are open boaters themselves.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
djutzi
C Guru

health care

Post by djutzi »

in Canada, our universal health care applies regardless of what kind of dangerous crap you're into...nobody pays extra.

some people do get supplementary health coverage and / or life insurance...if you're doing that its possible that extracurricular activities could play a factor in whether they'll cover you and / or how much they charge...
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Re: health care

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

djutzi wrote:in Canada, our universal health care applies regardless of what kind of dangerous crap you're into...nobody pays extra.
Do you get the same priority too? I know that some NHS trusts over here consider extreme sports related injuries to be self inflicted, and so prioritse them lower for long term treatment (surgeries and rehabilitation)
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
djutzi
C Guru

Re: health care

Post by djutzi »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:Do you get the same priority too? I know that some NHS trusts over here consider extreme sports related injuries to be self inflicted, and so prioritse them lower for long term treatment (surgeries and rehabilitation)
As far as I know...the wait for an ACL surgery, for instance, is likely to be just as long whether you did it boofing a 30 foot waterfall, or slipping on a patch of ice (a very canadian injury :wink: )
john h
c

getting way off topic...

Post by john h »

the prioritizing of treatment based on the cause of injury is not something i've ever heard talked about here in canada. surprising, since it seems a few weeks can't go by without me seeing an article or news story about reducing wait times.

more on topic - i agree that the latest issue of rapid has some awesome canoe-related stuff in it. there's even a reference to the massive L'edge thread on cboats.
Last edited by john h on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

:lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
oc ender
C Guru

health care

Post by oc ender »

Ya' , our health care is great.Recently reported to be near 15th best in the develpoed world,right behind Cuba.No gov't in the world can run a health care system better than the private sector.

Sorry for following the wrong turn on the post,had to nip it in the bud.
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
Einar
CBoats Addict

Rapid Health care

Post by Einar »

A couple of years ago I stopped reading Rapid when they shrunk their font size; the Canadian National Health Care doesn't cover eye glasses.
Good mag though.
Buy boat or buy glasses?