Zap Paddles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Zap Paddles

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I just started using a Zap, very nice hand made wood paddle. It is the niceist paddle I have eveer used It is supper strong. One thing that I am likeing about the paddle is no elbow pain it has just the right amount of flex. I will post some pictures of it soon.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Wood is Good

Post up some pics.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

It is a very nice looking paddle.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

THIS THREAD IS USELESS W/O PICTURES.

Might be time for a new stick. Tell me, show me, more...
Atucky
CBoats Addict

Post by Atucky »

Sounds good Richard.

FYI-

Glucosamine and Chondroitin completely got rid of my elbow pain.

And I haven't had to take it for a few months.
Adam Trunnell
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Ok, thread from the dead, but I just got my Zap paddle yesterday. I have yet to try it out on the water, but it sure is a good looking stick, and I am stoked about having a wood paddle (for flex) over my all carbon Werner Bandit.

I told Vince I like the blade shape of my Werner Bandit, so he made my blade shape very similar. The blade is wood with carbon fiber over it and an aluminum tip. The shaft is laminated wood with two layers of carbon fiber. I went with a walnut t-grip.

Hope to get it wet on Sunday!

Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

Looks really good...how much does one of those go for, if you don't mind my asking?
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

OC1er wrote:Looks really good...how much does one of those go for, if you don't mind my asking?
$350. I originally wanted a Bailey Stick (priced at $300), but I put in an order over a year ago and Bailey still hasn't started it. I then started looking at Echo paddles and really like the Creek Stick with a carbon blade ($309). Then I heard about Zap, they are close to home and I have paddled with Vince. I figured the Zap Stick would cost about as much as the Echo with shipping, so I decided to support someone local and went for it.
Matt Todhunter
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

I wonder if Vince would let us stress test the paddle shaft? While we are at it we should do the same with a JimiStick, Mitchell, Echo, and a Baily then do the same with some glass paddles. If you guys would send me these paddles I will begin testing. To keep all fair a 60" shaft would most likely work best. I bet that laminated shaft would take a hades of a lot to break. Should not warp either.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Richard, I thiught Class V paddles were the latest and greaest. Do you sell them through Mohawk and paddle with something else?
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

cheajack wrote:Richard, I thiught Class V paddles were the latest and greaest. Do you sell them through Mohawk and paddle with something else?
This is an old post I dredged up - he was testing out a Zap at one point.
Matt Todhunter
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I tried to buy a Class V paddle from Mohawk, but they're already not carrying them. The guy I talked to at Mohawk hinted at some problem with them and suggested I contact Class V directly. I ended up buying a Gala Sport instead.
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

Yup, Mohawk was just selling them through their site. My class V was pretty sweet. and then I lost it on a flood stage run. I have also seen Zap's work. very sweet paddles indeed. If I could afford it, I'd have one too. and an Echo, and a Galasport, and a second Bailey stick. yup, paddles, mhhhhmmm.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

That Zap paddle looks very nice! I'm sure he'd use dynel in the tip instead if requested?
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Alright here is the deal with Class Five paddles/Mohawk. The two business want to go into different directions. Class 5 paddles are being built and are great that is what I am boating with, my only paddle. I will have some for demo throughout the summer pretty much everywhere i go. I think the paddles are the most bomber glass stick on the market. I highly suggest everyone gets one. As far as ZAP paddles Vince let me demo one this last year it is a very baddass wood stick. I had no problems with the paddle except, it is so pretty and well made I felt bad about the way I would treat such a work of art. It felt good in my hands and I loved the flex in the shaft. If i could use such a pretty stick without feeling bad for destorying art.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker