new oc boater -- ottawa open boating?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

stickthatboof

new oc boater -- ottawa open boating?

Post by stickthatboof »

Howdy folks,

I guess I'll make this post somewhat dual purpose. First of all I am a (slightly) disgruntled kayaker looking to expand my horizons. So sure enough,I ended up with an esquif detonator about 2 years ago. I've been getting out on some fun stuff in the northeast...dryway, taylorville section of beaver, and other class III'ish stuff. It's been awesome. I'd like to meet up with some more open boaters too and learn a thing or two or three.

Which leads me to my next question....I'm heading up to the ottawa next weekend, and am considering bringing my detonator. My first experience on the ottawa (9 years ago...really???) was filled with swims (just learning to roll too), but I found the ottawa to be pretty forgiving as far as swims go. So I feel like I could make it down some of it intact, but I know that I'd be in for a beating sooner or later. Is this considered OC friendly? If not, I assume save a few bucks on gas and just bring the playboat (argh).

Well thanks for any of your thoughts/ideas!

SYOTR,
Jim
Gord
Pain Boater

paddling the Ottawa

Post by Gord »

Jim,

The Ottawa is run by open boaters all the time. The middle channel is best for someone learning. The Main channel is for experienced open boaters who know the lines.

The OWL rafting put-in is open for public use and puts you on the river on the main channel above McCoy's, the first major rapid. From here the river splits into the middle and main channels.

www.boatwerks is a popular canadian boater board that might be helpful in finding paddling partners or local knowledge.

The following link gives a map of the rapid locations;
http://www.wildernesstours.com/river.php?page_id=105

Gord
stickthatboof

Post by stickthatboof »

Thanks for the info gord. After a run or 2 to refresh my memory in the playboat I'll see how I'm feeling. Looks like the open boat is coming with after all!

Stoked!

Jim