Tamihi slalom (PNW/BC) Sept 18-19 will have L'Edge

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

Tamihi slalom (PNW/BC) Sept 18-19 will have L'Edge

Post by yarnellboat »

Planning is well underway for the 3rd annual Tamihi Five-0 Open Canoe Slalom near Vancouver, BC.

September 18-19, 2010 at Tamihi rapids on the Chilliwack River. Saturday is set-up and open practice, races are on Sunday. Great river and great campsite!

Hoping to grow it a bit each year with more people coming from the island, interior and U.S. So, come on down (or up)! Bring your friends.

It's basically a class II course in very low water. The emphasis is on participation - just a fun weekend to try and bring some ww canoes to one place for some laughs.

Probably will have about 40 boats racing and a bunch of canoeists camping out.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Beaver.Cano ... SlalomRace#

Sorry, the website needs some attention, but it's got the info you need to participate...
http://www3.telus.net/~soloboat/

Any questions? It would be great to see/meet you Gonzo, Wiggins, Milkman and others from around the region...

This is about your only chance in these parts to attend an event that's exclusively about ww canoeing!

Pat.
Last edited by yarnellboat on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

So, anybody thinking of coming?

Pat.
Alan B
Pain Boater

Post by Alan B »

Hi Pat,
I would be there for sure but I am no longer welcome in your country. In the summer of 1977, I was hitch-hiking around the west for 3 months and when I tried to go to Jasper-Banff they would not let me cross because I was not carrying enough money. I then foolishly tried to hike over the border some miles to the east and was caught and deported. Didn't have a reason to go to Canada until 1998 and 5 more times since then, all without "checking in" with your government. Those five trips were all post 9/11 and my passport was scanned. Thought it was ancient history and would never pop up... it did when I tried to cross last summer to do a 18 day canoe trip on the Snowdrift River. Talk about a nasty surprise.
Do you know anyone in the state dept? I'm only 4+ hours from the border here in western Montana, so it is really a bummer. I go to some of the Northwest Cup slalom races near Seattle and have always wanted to check out Chilliwack. You seem like a guy I would enjoy paddling with so for now I'll have to see you in Washington (or Montana) sometime! If you do ever come this way, let me know.
Good luck with the race.
Alan
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Thanks Alan, bummer about Border Services, seems like something they'd be willing clear up.

I'm not paddling or travelling much these days, but maybe we can talk some open boats into crashing the slalom at the Nooksack in October.

Pat.
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Pat, I'd like to make it, but don't think I am going to, as I have a 4 day 70 mile trip scheduled at that time. Maybe next year.

Marc
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Hey Pat

Thanks for your work on this.

Wish we could bring a group down from the Interior, but as usual, the UnLikely Paddlefest is on the same weekend.

Seems a shame about the annual clash -- I will have words with Red Shred and other locals about the possibility of changing the date for next year. Problem is, it's been that weekend for several years.

In lieu, any chance your event could be re-scheduled for next year?

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Many canoes around here travel several to the Adams for the Sept long weekend, so we give them a weekend off, and then have Tamihi.

In the future I guess we could do it a week later if we had too, but having it close to the Adams trip also keeps some momentum going with the core group.

Yeah, too bad about the conflict. And the next proposed tour de the Cariboo (Thanksgiving) conflicts with a slalom race at the Nooksack!

Pat.
yarnellboat
C Maven

L'Edge coming to T50

Post by yarnellboat »

Couldn't find the L'Edge thread (there's so many) that had the rants about western alienation from new boats, so I'll add it here...

Esquif has a demo L'Edge (decked I believe) that will arrive at Western Canoeing on Friday the 17th - just in time for Tamihi Five-0 Slalom! :P

Details/timing are being worked out, but in case it tips anyone's travel plans, I thought I'd give a head's up - there will be a L'Edge to try.

Pat.

http://www3.telus.net/~soloboat/index.html
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Good open canoe race this weekend near Vancouver. He had new people from Kamloops, Victoria and Seattle, as well as regulars from Portland and Kelowna, slowly building a bigger community.

Got schooled on how much an additional few m3/s can change a river - set the course on Sat for practice and it was about right; poured rain overnight, and with the water a bit higher, we didn't think looked like the big a deal, the course on race day was sketchy, with about everybody missing gates in large chunks.

A lot of us there who would run the Chilliwack's class III-IV stuff in those conditions couldn't make the gates in this class II section! Gates are humbling.

Hopefully in coming years we'll get Gonzo, Wiggins and others from cboats.net to come join the fun.

Pat.

p.s. Reviews of the L'Edge were as expected: bomber stable, dry, great for surfing/spinning, but heavy & slow to drive around. Great for steeps, definitely not a slalom boat was an obvious comment. Personally, I don't think I'd want it as the only boat in my quiver, unless I did a lot more creeky stuff, but was super impressed by the stability. Cool design, great to have the super-durable plastic!

So, when's the longer 10-4 model coming out?? More hull speed would be sweet for those us not dropping ledges all day.

p.p.s. Contrary to some theories, the most successful racers in yesterday's pushy water turned out to be individuals who have spent more time in kayaks than canoes :oops: