outfitting removal

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ELGOTTO
C Guru

outfitting removal

Post by ELGOTTO »

I need to remove some outfitting and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions about how to get it out without tearing up the vinyl layer? There are vinyl patches glued with contact cement and some other type adhesive that I can't identify. The saddle and knee pads need to come out as well. They are glued with contact cement but they are loose at a few places around the edge. I've removed things out of canoes before but I usually end up gouging the vinyl pretty bad. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

for foam, i've used plastic putty knives (el cheapo) with good results

for vinyl, VERY CAREFUL* application of heat (heat gun) coupled with simultaneous firm but not too firm pulling up on the patch

when i say pulling 'up' i mean peeling back over itself, NOT pulling perpendicularly to the hull.

*i mean very careful

if the vinyl d-ring patches are on there really good, and you have trouble getting them off, you could always just trim off what's loose and leave the rest on, before you damage the boat.
Joe
bassbug
c

Post by bassbug »

I just removed a foam pedestal and knee pads. I used a fillet knife. The flexible blade allowed me to get up under the foam with cutting the hull and I didn't tear up the foam too bad - good enough to re-glue. As for vinyl patches...I just cut off the nylon loop holding the D ring and left the vinyl in place in the hull.
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

Thanks. That is all good advise. What type of adhesive remover and method do you use to remove the residue left on the vinyl by the contact cement?
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

Sorry I put this post in the wrong place. I'll pay more attention next time.
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

I have redone my outfitting several times on multiple boats
a putty knife will remove all foam outfitting very easily and a
heat gun on D rings (but go easy on the heat 10- 20 secs at a time then let cool if it is getting hot)
I just glue over any existing adhesive and I have had no problems
clarion
C Guru

Post by clarion »

To remove contact cement, just brush more on top and when it gets tacky roll it and the old stuff up with your fingers.
It AIN'T bent.
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

just removed several different glues and drings and saddle from my spark, its probably a little easier to remove contact cement due to the material, but I found it possible with just a putty knife in the most cases. Stuff that was too hard to remove easily worked off with a little 120 sand paper.. part due to heat, part rolling up into beads.

I remove all of it before glueing down new outfitting, but then I might be a little obsessive about surface prepping. I guess its a lot less important for contact cement compared to G-flex or the like.. CC eats into the plastic anyways!!

I do still have to remove some more glue, some sort of a very sticky silicone-like material, which proves a little harder.. a sharp knife and patience brought the best results so far, just make sure not to cut into the surface too much...