L'Edge plus Big Guy still = HAPPINESS!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

boathead
C Guru

L'Edge plus Big Guy still = HAPPINESS!

Post by boathead »

Ok, so we have heard from some of the best WW open boaters out there regarding their impressions of the L'Edge. Dooley, Dennis, Craig, etc. I believe Craig stated somewhere in one of the posts that the average target weight was somewhere in the 180'ish range. I also think I recall Dooley posting his weight as being near 190-200 lb. and I met Dennis Joes once and he paddled the hades out of his Preludes. I would guess his weight at around 160-170 lbs. Quite certain Craig goes 160's or so. Several people have questioned the using of the L'Edge at their higher weight levels, say 215-235 lbs, myself included. Well folks, I am a mere-mortal "Joe Rec Boat" paddler standing 6'1 and weighing in at 225 lb. plus gear. Craig had mentioned to me that if I liked my Spanish Fly, I would love the L'Edge. I know that he had indeed used the 'Fly as the benchmark for this new Esquif boat. Well, he was right, I DO LOVE this little red boat. Got a little Ocoee in it I think as well. Sure it isn't fast at my weight level, but get it in some class II/III curent and wave trains at it comes to life. Dry,unbelievably stable, snappy. Great at grabbing the smallest of eddys, peel outs, etc. It runs through holes and somehow lifts itself out of them leaving you feeling stable, confident and in control. Front surfs (like you are on cruise control), sidesurfs and 360 spins until you are dizzy (spins almost as easy as the 'Fly BTW). This is the first canoe that performs like a Fly (similar hull shapes) but is open and LOOKS like a WW canoe! (just as you stated Dennis). I have outfitted and paddled Skeeters, Quakes, Fly's, Preludes, Zooms, Detonators, Ocoees and way too many other RX boats to mention and never have any of those left a first impression on me as the L'Edge has. I opted for the open version and IMO the extra 3 bills was worth it. You may decide different, but what ever you do, if you are an experienced paddler and are hesitating to paddle or purchase this boat because you are concerned that you may be over weight for the boat at 225 plus pounds, rest assured I feel you will be plesantly surprised. So what if you gotta cut the knee holes out A LOT more. Do it, grab a stick, jump in and go have some fun! Thanks to Craig and to Esquif for seeing this project through to fruition................"the Boathead".....
"You don't beat this river, Chubby"..........
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Thanks boathead, reviews from heavier guys who aren't world-class talents are very helpful to me. Sounds great!

Pat.
boathead
C Guru

Post by boathead »

Sorry, I typo'd Dennis' last name....should have read Jones. Dennis drove from Missouri to Wisconsin along with a K-boat buddy and they each picked up a new open version that they had ordered sight unseen.
adam
c

Post by adam »

yarnellboat wrote:Thanks boathead, reviews from heavier guys who aren't world-class talents are very helpful to me. Sounds great!

Pat.
x2!
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

Exellent review Barry.

Bring your new boat and the Mrs' down this winter while you're waiting for your stuff to thaw out, we'll have a good time :lol:
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
boathead
C Guru

Post by boathead »

Thanks Dennis.....Your review as well as other paddlers I trust motivated myself to spend two bills on a boat that looked like a real canoe that I never got to test paddle in advance. Didn't want to cut someone elses knee holes out ya know to fit my larger legs.
I do hope to get down to the Saint next year. ......Barry
karstmaninaboat
Pain Boater

Post by karstmaninaboat »

To support boathead's post....

I am 6.2" and about 225. I have only been paddling whitewater seriously for a year (no winter paddling) and consider myself a beginner/intermediate paddler having spent most of my time on the Hiwassee (1 mile away). I also have a couple of tuck trips and 3 times down the Nantahala in an open boat with yesterday being the third.

This summer I spent most of my solo time paddling a bell ocooe and a spanish fly. The best description I can give for the L'Edge has the stability of the fly with the maneuverability of an Ocoee. I can't believe how much freeboard there is in this little boat boat, how dry it is and how much faster it is than the fly. It is absolutely amazing on wave trains. It feels like a a balloon or something just riding on top. It loves to surf and punches holes just as you have heard.

The version I have is decked. I added 1" to the seat so I can get my feet under me and shaved a LOT of foam from the thigh hooks to get me forward and even out the trim.

I love this boat and feel it was money well spent. Thanks to Craig and Esquif for making it.

Barry, it was nice to meet you and your wife on the Nanty yesterday.
boathead
C Guru

Post by boathead »

Hey Fred...........same here, Sue and I really enjoyed visiting with you, your lovely wife and daughter, and of course, Little Fred!
I believe we saw your wife browsing the GAF sales on Friday,the 23rd, but didn't have time to visit as we were about to begin our 18 hour drive back to Wi. Wished we could have paddled again with all of you. Maybe sometime upon your Hiwaasse river. Take care and be certain to tell "Little Fred" howdy from both Sue and I.
karstmaninaboat
Pain Boater

Yeah, that was her, I was probably inside paying for what she had already found. :lol: It was her first Nantahala decent and she ran the whole thing like a pro. I could hear her giggling behind me half way through patton's run. It was a great day.

Give a shout the next time you are headed this way. We would be happy to take you down the scenic river.
boathead
C Guru

Post by boathead »

So tell me Fred.................was the wife in the OPEN boat? I bet she was!.........The Falls and all, eh?.....good for you guys. Now all ya got to do is push Smerda into overdrive on that Child's Boat he is considering. I would bet Lil Fred's grin factor would be ear to ear! going thru the Falls.
karstmaninaboat
Pain Boater

Barry, she was indeed in the open one and she loves it. She did the falls and all.

That would be real cool if they did a kidsboat. If not, he has already laid claim to the fly. :lol: