Posts of late

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Posts of late

Post by Sir Adam »

OK folks, you are making all of us moderators work to hard. We'd rather be paddling!

Please abide by the rules (keep things G-rated), stay on topic (whitewater canoe discussions / paddling / gear / trips).

We've let some things slide of late to try and be a little more accommodating... and it's been things have been pushed to far, and we're getting feedback / PMs from a lot of folks saying that things are getting a bit out of hand.

So, we'd appreciate y'all sticking by the rules of our humble site. If you want a place where anything goes, they are out there, but as you know, this isn't it.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.
Keep the C!
Adam
Louie

Post by Louie »

heck, what have I done now?
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I hate to break it to you Louie, but this time it's not you, it's a few other folks!
Keep the C!
Adam
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Adam, you've cautioned people here at least once before. maybe it is time for censorship, or just pull the plug.

JKaz
Louie

Post by Louie »

I just don't understand the call for censorship, look what it has done to the kiddy pool, Germany in the 30's and China today. Ya the cuss words for the kids is one thing ( like they don't hear it on every media outlet anyway). If someone get that far out of line, we will censor them ourselves by not readin or respondin to their post. Plus the vast cultural difference betwen the regions of America and the state north and west of the mason Dixon lines. Me and Foton fight like cats and dogs or brothers, but still love each other ( in a manly, no physical contact sort of way), he post a picture of me with his girl friend ( which was not what it appeared, we were naked because we were hot) it get pulled ( still don't understand that) and now that inbreed Ala idoit don't post here anymore. We all have the option of not clickin on someone post. It ain't my site, i ain't well versed in the boundrys of Yankee hummor ( or lack there of), but I still believe the 1st admiment to the Yankee constitution was and is the way to go. Besides if we can't talk how can we prove how stupid we are. I would guess this is about Fullblowngnar or what ever his name is, well when that many people jump his sugar cookie, there must a small grain of truth in what he says. heck whats next, only right handed paddlers can post, no kilt no post, if you don't join the American kayer you can't post, but once again it ain't my site and while i would hate to see it go away it wouldn't be the end of the world. A few month ago we heard how the owner was thinkin about shuttin it down, well please don't, but don't kill it by makin it so rule ridged no one but the PC's would want to come here. Sorry KaZ.

However if you do want to get rid of it, a guy down here said he thinks you should ask and see if anyone want to take it over. Just my view and remember i have been banned from the kiddy pool and the English flat water boatin site, so I might be wrong, there is a first for everything.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

As stated, it's not just 1 poster - if it was we would have reached out to them in the past as we have (and you know that as well as anyone :lol: ), it's some folks we've never had to warn before - as such I see it as a change in the view of what is acceptable here at CBoats.net, and a need for clarification of what that is. FullGnarlzOC has only had one inappropriate post (language) that has been cleaned up. While his posts do seem to get folks posting a bit more in response to some of his outlandish comments, for the most part folks stay in line.

We keep it G rated. If you don't like that you are welcome to go elsewhere - we are not the only paddling site out there.

We have no intention of passing CBoats.net along at this time - there are far too many folks who we enjoy working with and all have gained much from the forum. If someone else wants to start another site for canoes with a different "attitude" for the site, go to it! We've NEVER been the only canoe site out there, but have lasted the longest (I think) and have grown to be one of the largest, if not the largest Whitewater Canoe site. While I think that's nice, I'm more concerned with having a place where folks can pass on knowledge and new folks can get answers. A more "rough and tumble" site would have more posts, for sure, and over time likely grow bigger. But that is not our vision for this site.

For the record Louie, the folks that "censor" you most are in fact other southern gentlemen - not us northern yanks. Try and stoke that fire all you want, it ain't burnin up here.
Keep the C!
Adam
Louie

Post by Louie »

I bet they are transplants or were raised by northerns. I still say this contenient need too more countries a independant South and a free Quibec. I am glad you ain't shutin it down.

And what do you mean I" would know better than most".
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

While I do agree that the language needs to be clean, I also see a benefit to all the bickering. I've heard time and time again from folks how they love the entertainment some of us provide even if they don't take part in those posts. There are alot of people who stop looking at cboats when topics all become tech and dry. They frequent the site when there's a laugh to be had and alot of them post on other topics while they're here. You'd be suprised who some of the folks are that I've heard this from, I'm not going to mention any names but they're very educated, experienced, and helpful in their posts.
All I'm trying to say is that it looks like there's room, and a benefit to, both types of posts (keeping it clean of course).
I don't think anyone really takes it seriously. I love to get Louie so worked up you can't even piece together what he's saying but on the other hand I can't wait to get back down to ALF to boat with him. Even if he does paddle a decked boat. :lol:
You know what they say about guys with long boats.............. I have a 16 footer!
Louie

Post by Louie »

LENGHTY I THINk YOU ARE that inbreed Ala redneck's long lost twin brother. I will never agree with you on any of your posts, ever one as correct as what you put above.

"I'm not going to mention any names but they're very educated, experienced, and helpful in their posts."
I don't think you fooled anyone with the above ....I am pretty sure everyone know you are talkin about me
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Thanks for this site guys

Post by Wendy »

Thanks for cboats.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Thanks Admin the tone of late i think has been very rude and just a little mean. You guys are doing a great job I mean golly Gee where else are we going to go and get all this info. I really enjoy this forum but all this crude talk makes me wonder, it is nearly as bad as the evening news or any of the kids cartons that are on TV. I hope you guys never let this site get as bad as the comic books that are made now. I would hate for me to read something that is offensive, I mean how do I make my eyes stop reading things that bother me.

But in all seriousness Keep up the good work I know you guys do this thing on your on time and pro bono (FREE). Keep up the good service
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Bill M
C Guru

You have caused a miracle to happen

Post by Bill M »

Lengthy and Louie were in PUBLIC AGREEMENT!

Thanks for that and for this site. It is the best I have found.
Bill
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Adam - Any chance of adding a "Banter' section for the forum? That way all the people that are easily offended, easily upset, don't like confrontation, post about things other than 'easy sailing' canoeing, post from people that are newer and more energetic in the sport, and post that take a certain type of sense of humor... can just not read?

For instance... if I was one of said people, I wouldn't venture into the 'banter' forum, as I wouldn't want to be upset by any of thee above.... Although I can gaurantee said people would read it anyways, because I (and I dont think I'm the only one) believe it to be rather entertaining, like Lengthy said.

So basically a forum where you can add ur own voice, without worrying about 'offending' anyone, as long as it's clean.

Please consider this. That way even if a thread gets hijacked and turns into banter, you can move it to the new 'banter' forum section. And people can jump in until their hearts are content. I believe it would make monitoring threads a little easier too... as most of the threads needing to be watched would be under one section of the forum.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

This 'banter' section... could be described as 'intended to be less serious in nature' ect...

After all, where else can OC1/C1 paddlers go to BS with one another on a global scheme? Who knows... the forum might even gain more members/participants, hence helping the grow the sport. Because in all honesty, there is a certain 'perception' that the rest of the boating world seems to have in regards to canoers (this is what I have gathered in my 1.5 yrs of boating). When in reality....not all canoers fall under these stereotypes. Some of us, like to have fun, in many other ways, other than just 'boating'.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Thank you all for your thoughts, critiques, and compliments - I appreciate them all!

Let me see if I can cover all in one post:

1) "discussion" (and even a little bickering) is FINE by me. I enjoy it too, and though I occasionally through a little water on the fire if I think things are heating up too much, I'm not above throwing gas on either;)

2) When the above gets out of hand (you can disagree without being rude or crude) is where we have a problem. Improper language and person attacks is where we draw the line.

3) As to the above and censorship - we do not intend to censor any ideas - they are all valid - IF they relate to boating. Where we will (and do) step in is language, and things that are definitely not boating related. You'll note the AW post by Louie (and most of his rants against them) are complete.

4) As to my comment with Louie, he and I have traded PM's many times - the vast majority very cordial - when we had to edit some of his posts.

5) Just because someone is from (for generations perhaps) the same part of the country does not mean they will automatically agree with you. I am well aware there are "yankees" up here that wish I'd lighten up a lot and give everyone free reign.

6) I've been kicking around a "banter" forum, but that is a VERY slippery slope. I've seen (and admittedly check daily) some sites with such forums - it certainly brings out a different aspect of most folks. What I have noted is that although the traffic tends to pick up, you lose some of the community (some folks only hang out in the "banter" section for lack of another term), and we really do try to be inclusive of all and focus on canoe related info. I've long felt that there is another, much larger site out there (that I know a lot of you also post too - some more frequently than here) and perhaps that is what should continue to be used. There are a lot of very thoughtful folks over there (and a lot of not so thoughtful :wink: ).

Keep the thoughts coming, here or via PM.

And lets all get back to paddling - the fall rains should be here soon 8)
Keep the C!
Adam