short paddles rule

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

AYockey
C Guru

Re: shoulders

Post by AYockey »

Alden wrote:the t-grip shoulder thing has been dogging me too, Anita. for a long time i tried to be a tough guy, but finally this winter I went into physical therapy for it, and it is really paying off so far i think. just trying to get it strong, all those tiny little shoulder muscles. it's amazing how it takes almost no weight to get your shoulder tired on those excercises.

Alden
Ummm, I just went paddling for the first time this season, (I know I know late start, I blame school). But I noticed some shoulder stuff. I was wondering if you could share some of those exercises to help in prevention of injuries. I know some basic exercises but I'm looking for more specific things to do. Thanks for any help, I know this topic has been discussed before, but any and all info is great.

Thanks again

Alex Yockey
Alden
CBoats Addict

boatin

Post by Alden »

hey alex,
i used to do some weight stuff, but the place i went to gave me some of that rubber stretchy rope stuff. typical rehab-clinic fare. anyway, you take a cord of that stuff and wrap it through a hook or something, and then take both ends with you. that allows you to pull back on the cord or whatever, it stretches, giving you some nice smooth resistance. then you can do shoulder stuff. i have some specific excercises i do, if you're interested drop me an email abird@middlebury.edu
Alden
Jim
C Guru

Exercises 101

Post by Jim »

That stretchy stuff that Alden is talking about is available from many companies, such as this one http://www.thera-band.com/

The problem with most strengthening programs is that they train in straight planes of movement, and we do not canoe (or move) that way. For the best results use exercises that most closely resemble your canoe stroke (or better yet, just keep paddling).

For example, here is a helpful site- go to http://www.selu.edu/Academics/Faculty/r ... rrehab.pdf
Ignore all the stuff until the diagrams on the bottom of p. 4. Try this-

Get a piece of ‘stretchy stuff’, tie a knot in 1 end, and put the knot over a door and shut the door. Then hold the other end of the band in your hand while you move from D2 flexion to D2 extension then back to D2 flexion. This will strengthen the coordinated movements of shoulder extension, internal rotation and adduction along with elbow extension. It also mimics the movements of the “up” (T-grip) arm in paddling. COOL!

A nice thing about including rotation in shoulder exercises is that it trains the shoulder to clear the greater tubercle of the humerus from the acromium process. When this does not occur accurately we pinch on the supraspinatus tendon and get tendinitis of a rotator cuff muscle (a common problem on the T-grip arm).

After that exercise take the stretchy stuff and stand on the knot with 1 foot. With the opposite arm move from D2 extension to D2 flexion and back to D2 extension.

These are good techniques, but give them plenty of time to achieve strengthening (“Wolff’s Law” in the handout with the exercises). Plan on changes in strength and coordination taking weeks/months to achieve.

Good luck,

Jim
AYockey
C Guru

thanks

Post by AYockey »

thanks for the info, I'm only 22 and I wanna make sure I can paddle forever.

Alex