It's getting cold, what should I wear?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

We should probably qualify what we consider cold and cool paddling... a wet suit and splash top wouldn't cut it for late fall, winter or early spring up here (Ontario)... How cold does it get in GA??
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

ian123 wrote:... How cold does it get in GA??
(warning in Fahrenheit)

Same as in Alabama... we boat all winter, as we do not have to worry about moving water freezing. I've been on days with a high of 17 in town, so it was a bit colder. Although I normally do not go much anymore, on days with a high below 30.

For me cooler - as in wetsuit weather, 50's and above. And of course wind chill is also a limiting factor.
  • Added: 50F = 10 ... 30F = minus 1.1111111111111112 C ... 17F = minus 8.333333333333334
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Non-metric countries

I think some people are a little stubborn...
My car gets 40 rods to the Hogs head and thats the way I likes it!!! :lol:
MrJack
c

Thanks!

Post by MrJack »

Thanks so much for the input. I really appreciate y'all taking the time to give me some advice based on your experience. I am going to shop around and see how much each option will cost. I may have more questions after I look around. Thanks again!!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

sbroam wrote:...But, father time marches on and I see a drysuit w/booties in my future...
And the future is now - check the for sale forum if you are interested in a set of bibs...
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

If you are wearing a wet suit you may find it cold in a breeze once it gets wet.
A dry top or splash jacket and wind or rain pants will help with that.
In October and November in New England I might be in my shorts, my wet suit, or my dry suit depending on the air temperature.
From December through April, when the water is cold, I'll be in my dry suit or on my ski's.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

i'm of the opinion that a drysuit is a better value, IF you are buying this gear new. add up the wetsuit, drytop, splash pants etc. and you may as well just get a drysuit, and be more comfy to boot.
Joe
drrpm
C Guru

Post by drrpm »

The wetsuit, fleece and splash jacket combo will work OK in the spring and fall.. If you plan on OCing in the winter a full drysuit is the way to go. If you are a decked boater with a good roll the wet suit under a dry top is an option.