Just bought Kokatat GFER suit - Public Svc Msg

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Big Al
CBoats Addict

Just bought Kokatat GFER suit - Public Svc Msg

Post by Big Al »

Just bought one online at REI for $719, w/20pct discount as REI member. Free shipping

Big Al
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

That is a deal!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

grumble, grumble, bad time for temptation, grumble, grumble
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

And don't forget you will get dividends on your purchase along about January ;) An REI membership is so worth the price.
solo_konoe
Pain Boater

Re: Just bought Kokatat GFER suit - Public Svc Msg

Post by solo_konoe »

More grumble, grumble - had one in my "cart" this a.m. When I went to buy around 5:15pm today, it was no longer available in XL. I think you got mine :(
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

Sale items and 20% off coupons disqualify the dividend at REI.
Not a big deal as the dividend is around 10% for cash/check and 8% if you use a card.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

solo_konoe wrote:More grumble, grumble - had one in my "cart" this a.m. When I went to buy around 5:15pm today, it was no longer available in XL. I think you got mine :(
No back order? Between "add to cart" and completing payment they sold out for me - I got a "back order" notice...
solo_konoe
Pain Boater

Post by solo_konoe »

sbroam wrote:No back order? Between "add to cart" and completing payment they sold out for me - I got a "back order" notice...
Nope. Not only that, but I called and then emailed, specifically to inquire about the "backorder" small print. And both reps said that because they don't know when they'll get more, that "backorder" didn't apply to me and they could not honor my 20% off because they are certain they will not receive any until after the sale is over. :o

Another cold, wetsuit winter for me...

(I'd be interested in the written correspondence you received. I may try another appeal.)
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

No correspondence (I can see how it sounded like I got an e-mail) - when I went to check on my order status there was a notice on the screen that it had been back ordered.

Note that they stock Stohlquist GPods for $675 - i just changed my order via "live chat", they applied the same discount, and saved about $180 over the Kokatat...

http://www.rei.com/product/767366#
solo_konoe
Pain Boater

Post by solo_konoe »

sbroam wrote:Note that they stock Stohlquist GPods for $675
The customer support rep offered that as an alternative, but I was hoping for the GFER after reading through the discussion in the Main Forum. (may now reconsider) Thanks for the replies.
cramersec
C Boater

Since you missed the great deal....

Post by cramersec »

Having just scored a new suit at GAF, I have a size large Kokatat suit for sale.
Bad news: it's an older model.
Good news: it's Goretex
Bad news: needs gaskets
Good news: comes with gaskets
Good news: it has a pee zipper
Good news: it has a booties
Good news: $100.

Steve
solo_konoe
Pain Boater

Post by solo_konoe »

Bad news: I had already purchased a gPod from REI. :evil:
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Anyone else think REI is really lame for having so few GFERs in stock? I went to the site the first morning of the sale and all they had was small and Xlarge. Being a large, I waited a few days to see if the stock situation would change. I also sent a complaint to them. After all, it's the season for buying drysuits--they should have a ton in stock.

This morning I bought from them a small. When it comes in, I'll exchange it for a large--and if it's backordered, I'll wait. At least I'll get the sale price. I think. .
solo_konoe
Pain Boater

Drops unite! Let's be a river...

Post by solo_konoe »

Drops unite! Let's be a river of buying power? Too late for me, but I wonder if enough interested buyers band together, would a "bulk buy" save each some money? I guess that was the idea behind REI buying co-operative but their prices are no better than other gear retailers, even for us "members". :-?

Perhaps a paddler-retailer could opine. Would a group buy serve both the buyer(s) and the seller?

How about we band together to "bulk buy" a L'eague of L'edges? Perhaps we could form a Kokatat Konsortium?

-K
http://www.flickr.com/photos/solo_konoe/sets/
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

That's not a bad idea. When Dagger announced it was going to do one last run of Dimensions, I negotiated through a dealer a discounted buy of 8 of them for myself and 7 friends. We got free shipping and 15% off. It was quite the day when a guy with a trailer pulled up to my house and delivered 8 brand new Dagger Dimensions.