hand roll

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

can you hand roll your open boat (somewhat consistently)?

yes
12%
no
44%
never tried
26%
i only hand roll at safety breaks or riding to the git-in
18%

Total votes: 50

golder
CBoats Addict

hand roll

Post by golder »

spurred by another thread going on, i have been wondering how many folks can hand roll an open boat.

i have not successfully hand rolled my spanish fly yet. i tried it once at the pool, wearing borrowed hand paddles actually, but i couldn't quite reach the surface.
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I could hand roll a c-1 consistently w/hand paddles once upon time - I imagine I could now. I've seen oc-1s hand rolled but never really tried it myself. Might give it a try w/ hand paddles some time.
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

Sound like something that could come in handy. I recall being in a sutuation where I was upside down without a paddle. :cry:
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Emergo

Post by Emergo »

I can only handsroll a c-1 with handpaddles (neoprene type). My handpaddle roll in a c-1 is quite different from the one I do (w/o handpaddles) in a boat here often referred to as butt-boat. In the b-boat I first push on my left hand and then on the right hand. In the c-1 I push down on both hands and then sweep em over the front deck. The last step I cannot do w/o the handpaddles because my hands dive while sweeping.

It would be nice if somebody who can do it could actually elaborate on the technique. (Same for off-side rolls -- the type where you hold the paddle as normal and come up on the off-side).
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

i voted yes but it's only part true.
I could hands roll oc in the past when i use to practice.
now i can't even hand roll a c1. :cry:
Larry
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Many moons ago I could hand-roll a C-1 consistently, but I am too old, fat, and inflexible to do so now. Unfortunately, I didn't paddle OC-1 in WW back when I could hand-roll a C-1, so I don't know whether or not my technique would have done the job in that craft or not.

John
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

never tried my OC but I have tried my C1
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
french erick
C Guru

Post by french erick »

I put never tried...but can assure you that I positively think I'm unable to do so. Really what was I thinking? I should have put no :oops:
I'm far from being consistent with a paddle as yet.
Erick Baillot
bushpaddler
C Guru

Post by bushpaddler »

...only sometimes in a warm pool, so no real handroll...
http://www.bushpaddler.de/bilderundtouren.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kiwic1chick
C Boater

Post by kiwic1chick »

I can handroll my C1 RAD 185 with handpaddles fairly reliably - but my latest boat is a Jackson All-Star C1 that I can handroll, without handpaddles and without my straps/bulkhead/anything.
I originally learnt to handroll a buttboat, but use the same technique - however my handroll is still variable depending on what boat I'm in.
Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid. I choose to go paddling.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I can kinda do it in my squirt boat, and I learned I can sometimes do it in a polio butt-boat whilst teaching rolling last monday... But I still can't can't achieve it in my C1's let alone open boats. But crucially (I feel) I'm not going to even think of hand paddles, If I develop a handroll I want it to be a usable last line of defence, not a showboaty skill that needs special gloves.

Goal for this winters pool sessions is to handroll my Gus (along with learn to flatloop, and teach as many people to roll a C1 or OC1 as are interested).
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I can handroll some of my boats (all decked :) ).

I started with my "normal" roll, then tried to use more and more hip snap / driving of my knees and less arms / paddle

A bit of practice with someone right here letting me push off of their hands

Then handpaddles (you really should try them Josh) - this allowed me to get the timing and technique down better.

Now, on a "good" day, in the "right" boat (most of my squirt boats) I can hand roll. IIRC when I was paddling the Wheelboy I pulled it off in that too. But I haven't hopped in that since I picked up the Sith.

Of course, ALL of the above are much easier than an open boat. I know someone (and a kayaker at that!) that I'd guess could roll an open boat no problem, but she can handroll just about any boat (a Torrent?!), or at least could a few years ago.

It's all about the three T's.... technique, timing, and tummy muscles....
Keep the C!
Adam
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I have a bombproof out of the water hand roll. :)
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
YTcanoe
C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

Tried my first handrolls in about two years and was amazed to get it consistently from the first attempt.
In C-1 (I only C-1 for polo in the pool- those things are dangerous).

I use to be able to hand roll my Mohawk Rodeo (and once pulled it in my 14' tripper). It has saved my butt, lost my paddle getting worked through the Tutshi's "Nozzle" and was heading for more trouble.

The Rodeo had a stap set up which allowed me to get real low and keep a tight longitudinal axis. I honestly don't think I could ever reliably roll my current bulkhead boats. Just can't get my upper body mass close enough to the axis. Tough in a deep boat with a low seat and bulkhead.
I'm also certain the current crop of short, thick, big pocket PFD's aren't helping people with their rolls. You gotta get low and tight to the boat.

My other handroll has always been sloppy, fortuneately I have skilled friends.
Kelvin
C Guru

Post by Kelvin »

Hi Folks,

I got very very close to hand rolling my Zoom without any real practice. I think that I would be able to hand roll the Taureau with a couple of hours practice.

This has no reflection on other parts of my anatomy but for the record I have very small hands!

Kelvin.
http://www.sweet-skills.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;