PU Trucks

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

PU Trucks

Post by SlovenOC'er »

Comatose at work this monday? Well I'm starting to look at new pickup trucks to replace my older vehicle. Of importance is reasonable fuel economy (yea, I know its a pickup), pep for getting over the mountain passes, good build quality, 4wd and ground clearance for road and weather conditions. Moderate payload capacity as I'm hauling whitewater boats, not backhoes.

Decades of hanging around put ins and take outs has convinced me that this is a group with a lot of experience about this subject. Any opinions on camper shells are welcome to chime in as well.

Finally, I realize that we can be as passionate about our rigs as our boats. If you feel that another poster (including myself) has the looks, personality or IQ of a flatworm. please just pm them personally so we can keep this thread going as long as possible. Looking forward to the information, Thanks!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I wish Toyota still made something like the T100 - full size bed, almost fullsize cab, midsize engine, 20mpg hiway. Mine has hauled 4 grownups adequately along w/5 boats and gear to WV and back. The not-quite-current Tundra could be found w/a V-6 and a 5speed, but not sure about 4wd w/the V6 - the new Tundra is just too much truck for my needs. The Tacoma is darn near as big as my T100.

The full size Chevy extended cab has a very spacious back seat plenty of cargo capacity. I've only been a passenger, so I can't speak to long term qualities (cost of ownership).

To meet daily driver needs and weekend adventures has me toying with the idea of a wagon (Subaru?) and a small trailer.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Loved my old subaru for outdoors and just bought a used (new is $$$$) outback H6.

Awesomeness full throttle, the only thing is that... well it's not a pickup! :lol:
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Scott, Toyota does! The Tacoma! The current Tacoma has grown to within an inch or two of the size of the old T100.
Even with the 4-cylinder engine it is adequately powered , at least with the 5-speed manual, I have no problems exceeding the speed limits even when loaded with boats and people on the hills in BC. And my gas mileage is usually around 22 mpg.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

Taco x 2...My prerunner gets 21 w/ the v6 and auto...And plenty of powa...
SYOTR
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Larry
mattm
C Guru

dakotas

Post by mattm »

bought the second Dodge dakota in my state, back in 1986.'87 3.9 liter, 318 block last 2 cylinders lopped off. 200,000 miles when I planted her, never touched timing, alignment. Changed radiator and fuel pump. Bought an '01 and had the 2 of them for 5 years. the '01, also a 3.9, i have 114,000 and just did the shocks, one tuneup God knows why, I sure don't. They come in every dang package you can think of, 1,2,3,4 wheel drive last I knew, 3 different cabs, 3 cargo capacitys. The 4.7 engine had head gasket issues, I think they have a 3.7 and I dunno' what for an 8 right now. 18mpg with my 6 cylinder...same as my neighbors turbo diesel 2500, except he's hauling a landscape trailer instead of canoes.
I used to camp in my old one, 8' bed. Aluminum cap. Gotta' put a blanket on the cap when it's raining, stifle the bangin' of the raindrops.
so glad for Krylon, ABS and acetone.Squirt, sail, paddle and pole.
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

well larry's post is certainly bitchin'

i do love my 2004 tacoma though (4 cyl, 5-spd, 4wd). i'm on my second one. the first was a 1994, that finally died w/ 240,000 mi, many of those spent bouncing my way to costa rica and back, not easy miles.

my current truck has the 6' bed w/ the xtra cab. the xtra cab is great for keeping tools etc locked up and dry, and good to getting up to 4 or 5 folks in for shuttle. but i would subject a full grown adult to riding any long distance back there. (the open boaters say its to small, kayakers seem to mind less. i reckon if i got a squirt boater back there it'd seem down right roomy)

i just found out they stopped making them available w/ manual locks and windows, much to my dissapointment--that power stuff is just more stuff to break. (i think 2006 is the last year for the truly stripped down and simple models.).

i reckon i'll get another one whenever i wear this one out....hopefully that ain't anytime soon.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

A local here used to drive a Pontiac GTO, 67, maybe 68. Candy apple red. Respectable ground clearance. Seated 5-6. Trunk big enough to sleep in. Gutters. Cool++.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

i saw one of these a while ago too. another way cool shuttle rig :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OyEG8wBHSc

and when macnarls get's in one....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL5PgWqH ... re=related
Larry
Einar
CBoats Addict

Scout & Paddle truck

Post by Einar »

Just got in this afternoon from a 2 day dry season creek scout in the B.C. mountains up at the new snow line.
I drive new 4x4 Gmc p.u., haul 6 paddlers in the extended cab on a shuttle or 4 paddlers on a long approach drive. I sleep in the back under the canopy on a foamy, cook off the tailgate and can carry 6 oc boats on the rack.
Since most of what I carry is air wrapped in oc royalex, sleeping bags, firewood, and beer a 4.8L v8/300horse does the job fine and keeps the gas milage rezonable. I like Toyota, owned them, but they weren't consumer friendly ($$) at the time and Gmc was.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

+ another for the tacoma. I had one in high school that was great for getting to some crazy locations, and I'm buying another. It ain't pretty, but it get's the job done.

For evidence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVkedyQZfwQ
(Hilux is just the older version of the first gen tacoma)
Chris Loomis
mr ray
C Guru

Post by mr ray »

Larry Horne wrote:this is what I would do...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF0lBkzXx00&feature=fvw
Where's Cumnock?!?!
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Ford Ranger

Post by fleckbass »

On my second Ford Ranger, 2008. First was a 1996 and is still on the road with about 200K. I like the V6, 4X4 King Cab. Gas mileage not the best, maybe 17 highway but it won't let you down. 8)
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Can't go wrong with a Hi-Lux, maybe not as big or stylish as some US made models, but they're (comparatively) economical to run, cheap to maintain, and seem to have excessively long service lives.

Or if off-road capablity is the main priority, Unimogs are the way forwards (I would conventionally plug landrovers here, but they stopped importing the actual go anywhere model which is available as a pickup some time back).
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)