PU Trucks

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

I use my Ranger if the roads are good and I have three or fewer paddlers. Standard transmission, 2WD, 4 cyl (20+mpg, but underpowered for the hills), 78" bars that can carry multiple boats. For more comfort, I can load 5 folks, their gear, and their boats (78" bars also) on the Dodge Grand Caravan. It isn't 4WD, but it made it all the way down to the Lower Gauley get-in with 4OCs and a K1. Made it back out, too. Both vehicles can double as hotel rooms. Maybe my next paddling vehicle will have more ground clearance and 4WD.
SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

Post by SlovenOC'er »

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Gee, I might have to consider the Gremlin after watching that video Larry posted. I have started visiting car lots, trying to duck salespeople (hard to do). What I haven't seen yet are the new Fords. The 2011 F150 has a new 6 cyl. with really good HP and torque and they claim, good gas mileage for a pu. They haven't shown up here. Not sure about other regions.

The EPA website has good information about mileage, carbon footprint, etc. What was surprising was that a smaller truck and smaller engine didn't always mean superior economy and lower environmental impact. As always, feel free to respond.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

Go for the Ford Truck! You don't want to compromise when your going down some sketchy road. 8)
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

SlovenOC'er wrote: What was surprising was that a smaller truck and smaller engine didn't always mean superior economy and lower environmental impact.
I'm still running my '97 GMC. It's a full size, extra cab 4x2 w/ a 350. I have gotten 22 mpg, but 12.5 years & 124,000 miles later I average ~18 on a trip. It'll still scald both back tires on pavement :lol: & I have no problems in the mountains. Make sure you get a posi-trac for any truck, but expecially w/ a 2 wheel drive ( I wouldn't own a truck w/ an open rear end).
mattm
C Guru

yup

Post by mattm »

Amen to Mikes observation. My first dakota, 8' bed, 1 wheel drive, would lose traction if I spit out the window. Posi rear end and aggressive tires make the second one pretty decent, even better than most cars, in the snow. I've gone the 2wd route, though I'd love 4 wd, due to the thought of hauling an extra gearbox/lower gearing/more money around the 350 days a year I don't need it.
so glad for Krylon, ABS and acetone.Squirt, sail, paddle and pole.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I really like ford now adays. I think they're going to be the new toyota.
I would look hard at that f150.

The nissan frontier is sweet too.
Larry
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

definitely posi, 4x4 too :D Posi is an option, worth it! 8)
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
Blast
C Boater

Post by Blast »

Look at the Nissan Frontier. I have owned two. Crewcab, six foot bed w/ a hard shell. 6cyl. with power and torgue, 4x4. I have nerver had one in the shop except for tranmission fluid changes. all other fluids are easily DIY. Brake replacement is also DYI. It is 1000 miles round trip any time I go paddling. With 3 OC1's on top I average between 19 and 20 mpg.
David
ice-breaker
Pain Boater

Post by ice-breaker »

I drive a 2003 F150 Supercrew 4x4 5.4L. It is a nice ride and will get you to the river and back, but you do need to plan your trip based on the locations of gas stations along the way. Mileage varies from about 9 mpg winter to 15 mpg summer (US gallons). Looking to downsize to something a little more economical next year. My wife just bought a 2010 AWD Chevy Equinox and the gas mileage seems pretty decent. May try the same or something similar for myself.

dave