Asking for help

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kslund
Pain Boater

Post by kslund »

Bruce,
I think I am up to 8 cracks on the bottom :o I bought a hot-air welder and have been welding it after every trip out. I may need to put a plate on it if I want to keep paddling it.
coloradopaddler
C Guru

Post by coloradopaddler »

I would second fibArk and the oc slaloms in golden, colorado. i can safely say that i've never seen a canoe manufacturer present at a paddling festival. they aren't going to just show up at your door step wanting a canoe, make a presence and see what happens. it can't hurt, and will definately be fun, for us at least! :D
In a canoe you don't just float down a river: you're part of it- a silent water creature responsive to every surge and flex of current, gliding like a fingertip over a naked green body. "The River Why" David James Duncan
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Here the deal with the west not saying it out of the question but not this year. It is too far for the time I an be away. Between the little boy and the wife and the shop I cannot be gone for 2 weeks or so not to mention the cost. So maybe next year
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

The AW Deerfield Fest at the end of july last year had two kayak vendors, and only 1 used mohawk scamp at a booth. The class 2 section of the river was mobbed with kayakers, looked like a couple hundred to me. The Dryway cl 3-4 section had maybe 6-10 open boats on it. There could be an opportunity there to convert a few. Zoar Outdoor is nearby and they have a few canoes , but no Mohawks to my knowledge. The Maine Canoe symposium may be a possibility too, but I've never been
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

Second suggestion for demo on Lower Green in NC!!
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

how about changing that to the upper and the sponsor handles the take-out.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Canoecopia

Post by MrTgrips »

Not that I've been there, but I hear good things about this show...

CANOECOPIA 2011
http://www.canoecopia.com/canoecopia/page.asp?pgid=1001

Here's a list of vendors from last year's show.
http://www.canoecopia.com/canoecopia/ex ... &year=2010

:)
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

Hey Trey, I'd go for that too! I live only 20 min from either one.
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

Upper or Lower Green River, NC for a Demo Day
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

And nearby Lake Adger for Mohawk flatwater boats.
sganarelle
Pain Boater

Post by sganarelle »

Can you get Blue Ridge Mountain Sports or Appomatox River Company to take part in a demo day on the upper james or lower james in Richmond, Va? As well, the Hugenot flatwater section is just as easily accessible.

Well known river, well developed put-ins and take outs and a pretty large community of users. Not to mention a fair amount of outfitters.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Richmond is on the list. Dont know when yet but I am diff coming to Richmond, I lived there for a few years and would like to see some old friends
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Alan B
Pain Boater

Post by Alan B »

Richard, I have to say, I think you really underestimate the number of open boaters in the West. I second the post by Cadster and others out here... you would really be missing the boat not to send SOMEONE on your behalf, THIS year, the year OC Nats. are in Golden. A rep could hit Wisconson in early June, Montana during the Blackfoot Challenge (a mostly open boat slalom held at the site of the 2004 Nats.) in the later half of June. Hit Idaho, Oregon, Utah and then Golden. Oregon has a large whitewater canoe club in the Portland area. And referencing Cadster's Larryfest photo... impressive for a state that is as big as almost any 3 eastern states, with a relatively small population of 4 million. At the Montana Nats. in 2004, we had 24 Montana racers, approximately twice the turn out of any other host state, before or since. Many talented OC paddlers did not race. The numbers are growing! MT is the 4th largest state with only 900,000 people. Idaho has just a few more people but also a large OC community.
Don't write off the West. Send someone on a roadtrip!
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

Alan, The OC nationals are on my to do list. So have mo fear, Mohawk will be well represented in the west. Really looking forward to the nationals this year. I'm stocked. Maybe I can talk some of the GDI into a west coast tour. 8)
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Here's a photo from a plain ol' club canoe trip in Vancouver, BC - 30-some ww canoes (including a few Genesis, H2Pros, and other boats that could stand to be upgraded). Mohawk would be welcome to drop by our "Rivers Week".

http://picasaweb.google.com/Beaver.Cano ... 8373723954

There are large groups of ww canoesists in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, and they do buy boats.

Pat.