Finkenmeister Spray Skirts

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Finkenmeister Spray Skirts

Post by the great gonzo »

Just for your information I made a trace of the Finkenmeister cockpit outline and sent it to Mountain Surf, as they need one to make a custom spray skirt for my FM, as the Atom skirt I currently use is starting to get a little too old and leaky :( .
In the future they will be easily able to make spray skirts for the FM 8) .

martin
Last edited by the great gonzo on Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Good going Martin. I'll be ordering a skirt from Mountain Surf. I've been using my Cascade Skirt, which is serviceable, but it does leak.
SYOTR,
Bruce
Don Williams
C Boater

Post by Don Williams »

Anna of Robson USA is checking with Robson about Finkenmeister skirts, she'll let me know once she learns something. I should receive my boat near the end of April, it has to go to Seatle and then back to New England. Last I heard the container should reach Seattle around April 20.

It sounds like my old Harmoney skirt should work for the time being. I really like my Mountain Surf on my Atom, very dry, but it has extra kevlar to cover the hip huggers and is tight. I ordered the "bombproof" model and it takes a fair bit of pulling to get it on.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Forgot to mention one thing, I changed the trim of my boat slightly forward, so on the template I sent them the back of the saddle is actually ~1.5 inches further forward than the original saddle position, so if you order a skirt from MS, you may want to consider this for tunnel location.

Don, the Atom skirt might work. The original Dagger skirt I am currently adaps surprisingly well to the different cockpit shape, so your Harmony skirt should work.
I don't know however if the same would be true for the MS kevlar skirt, since thy are significantly stiffer.

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau

finkenmeister skirts

Post by Guest »

you would be better off with your cascade or Atom skirt than an LC1 due to the extreme difference in size (circumference). The circumference diffence between the Finkenmeister cockpit and the cockpit an LC1 is designed for is 12-14 inches.
, but will work in a pinch. The Cascade/Atom skirt will be loose as well. The Atom/cascade cockpit is 2.5 inches longer than the finkenmeister and has these silly corners that compromize the quality of the seal (see my sprayskirt article at www.mountainsurf.com for more detail on general skirt/cockpit relationship discussion). The circumference of the Finkenmeister cockpit is 5 inches smaller than the Cascade which makes a huge difference in seal tension which directly affects the mechanical and hydraulic seal.
John Mason
Mountain Surf
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

I got my Mountain Surf skirt for the Finkenmeister in about a week's time. That was fast :D . Even better, it goes on easy, feels bombproof and doesn't leak. Looks good too. Black is my color.

I checked out the skirt this weekend on the North Fork American and feel comfortable recommending this Mountain Surf skirt for the Fink. We are all becoming one - me, my Fink, the Werner blade and the skirt.
SYOTR,
Bruce
Don Williams
C Boater

Post by Don Williams »

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the skirt report, I'm sure I'll end up with one for my Fink. I'm still waiting for the boat, the last report was that they should have it in Seattle on May 1 and would ship it Forward Air ASAP.

Is your skirt an EZ-ON or Bombproof? My Atom skirt is a Bombproof, it takes some work to get it on when it's cold but is very secure.

Don
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Hi Don,
The skirt is an easy on.
Let us know what you think of the Fink when you've had a chance to paddle it.
SYOTR,
Bruce
Don Williams
C Boater

Post by Don Williams »

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info. Haven't had an update on when I'll get the Fink, the last word is that they would get it in Seattle May 1. Anyone getting anything else from this container?

Don