L'edge: is anyone keeping the decks?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

Thanks for all the feedback. My boat is being shipped today. :o
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

smurfwarrior and tvann,
What did Appomattox charge you for shipping the L'edge? How much was sales tax?
New company policy at Millbrook Boats effective 3/1. I will match and competitor's price on the Esquif L'edge. For example, if you buy a heavily discounted L'edge from a retailer in VA, I will match that price. If you have to pay tax and shipping charges for that boat, I will charge you those costs also.
Thanks,
JKaz
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Kaz- I paid $1500 out the door, shipping and tax included (I think it was tax free). That was for a decked model. +300 for open is what I was told when I ordered.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

The included shipping cost was $105 from VA to UT using ODFL. Saw the price on ODFL's computer screen when I picked it up, not a quote.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Tax is problematic, because we are legally obligated to pay the tax in the state where we live. Most companies that sell high-dollar items have the ability to mark something as an out-of-state sale, and not collect the tax at time-of-purchase.
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

re taking airbags out. well see the paddlepointer video about that. but to sum up. i've never ever taken the bags out of the taureau, (well actually i've never taken airbags out of any boat:) now, things freeze up here so maybe less mildew... on the other hand, who cares if there's mildew on the airbags, it won't eat nylon will it?
Well, that is comforting. I'll keep it in mind if it proves too annoying to take the airbags in and out.

I paid $1,500 for the decked version from Appomattox. Shipping was $90 to Portland, OR. Shep is right. When I asked about tax, they said Virginia tax does not apply because I am out-of-state.

This is probably normal, but they do give a discount on accessories when you buy a new boat. So I got new airbags. No extra shipping; they just throw the packages in the boat.
kaz

Post by kaz »

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate your honesty.

JKaz
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

I just got my receipt from Appomattox River Company in the mail today.

Open Ledge: $1800
48" bags : $50 ea. (normally $57.99)
Shipping to Bellingham: $90

They also quoted me $1500 for the decked version.

The local shop is Western Canoe and Kayak across the border in Abbotsford, BC. They quoted me $2449 for the open L'edge with bags, and imported. It wouldn't have been available unti May unless I paid an unknown amount for shipping, and then I would have been on the hook to the bank for another $100-250 in banking fees for the currency exchange!

I am not blasting WC&K. Their price is their price. They have great customer service and their prices are good on items they have in stock.

Isn't being a open boater on the west coast grand?!

Kyle
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

Kaz, if I can ask, what is the margin at $1500? Do you guys get free shipping from Esquif?
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

there does some to be a price descrepancy for sure on the L'edges. In the last issue of Rapid Mag they had a review of the L'edge and there was a $200 difference in price between Canadian boats and US boats. With the Canadian price being higher? i read that at said WTF? A boat manufactured in Canada is cheaper in the US at a time when the Canadian dollar is on par and some days even higher than the US dollar?
My frozen (now thawed my warm mexican waters) brain can not figure that one out.
It does not look good for anyone.
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

That is a good point!!
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Lappie wrote:Kaz, if I can ask, what is the margin at $1500? Do you guys get free shipping from Esquif?
Sharing wholesale prices is a huge no-no. I can tell you the paddling shops in Arkansas aren't stocking Esquif boats anymore because they have to take trailers to NOC to pick up their boats. We actually had a rep in Arkansas a few years ago who would drive up to Quebec with a trailer, and there are a ton of Esquifs here 'cause of it, but shipping canoes (especially across the border) seems to be a huge logistic/cost challenge for both the manufacturer and dealers.

Shep
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

Basicly what I would like to know, is what Yukon broth up. Why is the Esquif boats are cheeper in the US than here in Canada where they are made?? I can understand if the $ was like it was a few years back, but now it is at par so price should at least be the same!! :wink:
kaz

Post by kaz »

Lappie,
I assure you, there is no such thing as free shipping from Esquif. I either go get them, or have then trucked to me. And by offering to match that pricing from the multi-million dollar retailer in VA, I'm taking a beating.
Is that price difference a matter of US dollar vs canadian dollar?

Jkaz
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

Thanks Kaz, I don't know about the price thing and I did e-mail our rep to see what she as to say and see if they would change things in the mather of having a fair price for canadian...