Who knows their knots and hitches?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I use the tautline hitch all the time to tie the bow and stern lines of my canoe to the front and back of my car. No need for a trucker's hitch there--it's overkill.
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Good use for a tautline

Post by Jim Michaud »

A tautline hitch works real well for winching or towing, as long as the rope isn't slippery. After putting a lot of force on a rope most knots are very hard to untie. The tautline, on the other hand, always unties easily.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

milkman wrote:I use the tautline hitch all the time to tie the bow and stern lines of my canoe to the front and back of my car. No need for a trucker's hitch there--it's overkill.
Ditto. Tie the boat to the rack with trucker's knots. Bow/stern lines with taut line hitch.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

If you are worried about untying a truckers-hitch that has been loaded, throw an extra twist in your first step. That means the loop that you cinch down on looks more like a figure-8 instead of an over-hand. It won't cinch down as much and will more easily pull out once you are done.

Shep
tennOC
Pain Boater

Post by tennOC »

The holding power of the taut-line hitch can be increased by doing the first two loops, then sliding down the rope and do another complete hitch. This adds a first line of defense and still retains the advantages of the hitch.
BrownDog Boats- "Bring the Dog"